• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MVTC and Loyalist Arms Co.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey4469

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentleman:
The time has came in my life to finally start being serious and find me a Brown Bess Musket. I would prefer a used one if the price is right, but while looking online at MVTC and Loyalist Arms, the price is hard to beat. My question is which company has the better musket? How reliable are they? Their overall construction and durability, since this one I get will be used for hunting? Any information will be helpful.

I thought they both got them from the same source in India. :hmm:

The biggest difference is MVTC is in the US and Loyalist Arms Co. is in Canada.

I can only relate to the 1728 pattern Bess I ordered a couple of years ago from Loyalist Arms. The wood used is very dense, dark and oily. There was far too much wood, and it should have been less bulky. The barrel was very heavy, which made the whole musket unwieldy. The ramrod was 'way too small in diameter to actually use. I just did not like the overall appearance, so returned it with no problems.
Now, as I said, this was a couple of years ago, and I have read some good reviews about the guns sold after that one. Possibly others on this forum have had more positive experiences with these muskets.

There is also Military Heritage. I just ordered a Long Land Bess from them. It should be in this week. I'll let you know how she is.

Andy

Andy,

Yes - please let us know what you think when it arrives and you have a chance to try it!

I am calling Military Heritage this morning to order their British military doglock musket. I can't hardly wait to get it in. Judging from their photos it looks like a good musket. I really like the style also. Good looking musket. It will go well with my Pedersoli Short Land Pattern Brown Bess.

Russianblood said:
I thought they both got them from the same source in India. The biggest difference is MVTC is in the US and Loyalist Arms Co. is in Canada.
While all three (Loyalist, MH, and MVTC) import their arms from India, none come from the same source. Their websites tell you that much. India has a long history of gunmaking. The quality of the imported reproductions has improved over the past couple of years greatly due to these importers responding to our needs.
BUT....There are differences between the three companies: Look carefully at payment methods, return policies, and guarantees!!!
Returns to Canada can be expensive. Or if your lock breaks, will they replace or repair it for you for free? MVTC will repair, replace, reharden a frizzen on your lock for as long as you own it and don't abuse it.....for free.
While I have not bought from all three of the importers of India made arms (Loyalist, MH, and MVTC).....I am extremely pleased with the personal service I have received from MVTC. I've never dealt with better folks than Pete and Wendy Plunkett. I didn't buy their Bess, but my MVTC New England Fowler doglock is the only gun I take to the club range these days....I love it that much!
If I were buying a Bess, I'd get mine from MVTC just based on their most excellent service and the quality of the Fowler I got from them already.
Jack

I just ordered the British military doglock musket from Military Heritage. The lady I talked to was very pleasant and helpful. She told me if they have the musket in stock, it will be a shipping time of 5 to 7 days. I've got my fingers crossed that they have it in stock. :thumbsup: If not, I will instead order their 1746 Long Land Pattern Brown Bess. I will eventually order a India Pattern Brown Bess from them or MVTC. My goal is to have all three versions of the Brown Bess. Love those Brown Bess muskets!! Can someone tell me how hard it is to drill the vent hole in these muskets and what size drill to use? Does the barrel have to be unbreeched to drill it? (Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I was just excited about ordering my new musket)

Hello All,

So far members of my history group have bought from both MH and LA... I have found both companies good to deal with, however LA doen't take credit cards, and MH doesn't stock parts... I've heard only good things about Middlesex Village, they take credit cards, ship military muskets with sling,bayonet, and a few other items the other guys don't.

From now on, I'm going to try to steer any of my crew to Middlesex Village as the 1st choice to deal with for all the reasons listed above and their well known customer service & follow up repairs on their products.

:hatsoff:

Cheers,

David Teague

Is there a reason nobody has mentioned Pedersoli?

Are the Italian guns not better quality than those produced in India? :confused:

Pedersoli pricing has gone through the roof in the last several years. Our hobby of loading guns from the muzzle is full of old guys like me - I'll turn 75 this year - who can't just shrug off writing a $1000 check from their retirement funds for a hobby purchase.

Frankly, I hope the guns from India get better and better and force some common sense pricing back into the muzzle-loader market.

GrayBear

I am far from an expert and have not seen all of the different Besses. I bought mine from MVTC and love it. They were perfect in the customer service department and have been nice about answering my stupid newbie questions (just like you all have :winking: ).

Dale Brown said:
Is there a reason nobody has mentioned Pedersoli?

Are the Italian guns not better quality than those produced in India? :confused:

Dale, it was because we read the question posed at the top of the thread...

" Ladies and Gentleman:
The time has came in my life to finally start being serious and find me a Brown Bess Musket. I would prefer a used one if the price is right, but while looking online at MVTC and Loyalist Arms[/b], the price is hard to beat. My question is which company has the better musket? How reliable are they? Their overall construction and durability, since this one I get will be used for hunting? Any information will be helpful."

He never asked about Pedersoli.

Cheers,

DT

I'm also interested in the muskets from LA and MVTC. I ahve a question for those who have them. Do you use them for things other than re-enacting. I'm mainly interested in the live fire depedability. I hve been in contact with both companies and neither have the muskets I'm looking for in stock. Seems that February is the magic month they will arrive.

Also, looking at the LA site, they have distributors in the states. One, Mighty Niagara Products of the 18th Century, does take credit cards. His web site is: [url] http://jbrownfire.tripod.com/[/url]

I have not been in contact with them so I don't really know anymore that what the web site says.

Don R

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, We do live fire along with reenactment.

The Indian muskets come with heavy trigger pulls, I have the skills to lighten them down to 8 or so pounds for members of my group, they spark much better than my North Star West Fusil or trade gun... :hmm:

Cheers,

DT

Don R said:
I'm also interested in the muskets from LA and MVTC. I ahve a question for those who have them. Do you use them for things other than re-enacting. I'm mainly interested in the live fire depedability.
I primarily use my MVTC New England Fowler for shooting round balls and shot (if that is what you mean by live fire).
In the first two days that I owned it, I put 180 round balls through it without a single misfire. Now the first day it was pouring down rain....while I was under a covered loading station, the gun still got drenched from the wind blowing. Second day wasn't as rainy, but still rain and wind....no misfires at all. Just load and shoot, load and shoot.
Since then, I've put a good thousand rounds through it at least....probably a whole lot more....I stopped counting.
I mostly just informally target plink at the club range. I load roughly .67 balls (cast in a Dixie mold) with .018 Walmart ticking over a modest 2F charge...so no cloverleaf holes in the targets, but I have a lot of fun with it.
As for re-enacting, I do belong to a local Clark's Company group, it's the firelock I use there also.
Jack

Thanks David and Jack. That's what I meant by live fire as opposed to the blanks used in re-enactment. Sounds like there should be know problems using either roundball or shot.

Don R

The Baron said:
Andy,

Yes - please let us know what you think when it arrives and you have a chance to try it!

Well my bess arrived from MH today.
The company was great to deal with and shipped it out pretty quickly.
The only shipping problems were they did not receive my fax and I had to call in the order (it could have been my fax machine).
Also there was a small hole in the box and the stock had two small scratches no problem though I plan on refinishing the stock anyways.
Fit and finish are about on a par with other MH muskets I have seen not great but acceptable for wha I'm going to do with it plus I can fix alot when I refinish it.
The front lock screw passed through the ramrod hole and they cut it to allow the rod to pass
The lock makes tons of sparks. Trigger pull is nice and crisp breaking at 11 pounds.
I hope to get to the range this weekend and put some rounds through it and a few other guns I have yet to fire so I'll have a range report soon.
The big question am I happy?
Yes I am it is what I expected a good start cheaper than a kit but still needing work to make it better.
Will I buy another gun from MH?
Yes I'm looking at the 1777 Musket next

Here are a few pics I took today If anybody wants to see another part of it just let me know.

Andy
135_3508.jpg

135_3514.jpg

135_3504.jpg

135_3502.jpg

134_3500.jpg

I have had good experiences with the MVT Bess and 1777 Charleville. Both have been great sparkers and look sharp. They have good wood-to-metal fit. I ended up firing the Bess live and decided to keep it, but I will sell the 1777 Charleville (if anyone is interested). Email me, but I have no qualms about recommending the MVT products.

Cheers,
Jim Chocole
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back