• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MVTC Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sham66

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy!

This is a .75, but MVTC told me to use a .715 ball, which is more a 72 cal. Anyone have recommendations for a starting load?

Thanks!

James

.715 is a good size to start with on a .75 bess. There is no rifling to stuff a patch in so the ball needs to be smaller than what you would use in a rifle. A .72 (12 gauge) usually uses a .690 round ball.

Try starting with a .715 round ball, .015 patch and 80gr 2f. Work your way up and down from there to see what works best for you.

I have always wondered about that. I have only shot rifles so far, but would like to get a smooth bore one day. Thanks for clearing that up, hawkeye :hatsoff: .

the muskets i have i 'miked'them and they read .75 cal, i use .715 ball with a sutible patch. it works good also with about 75 to 90 grains 2f goex.

I think the .715 ball should be the size you need. I've been trying .735's in my Bess, and I have to use a very thin patch....almost too thin. And the accuracy is not great with this combination.

My Pedersoli Bess loves a .715 ball, 90grains of 2F and a .010 spit patch. With that load she'll knock down 2 out of 5 bear silhouettes at 120 yards and keep them in the same hole at 25 yards.

Many Klatch

Please! Measure the bore of the gun. DO NOT RELY on what the manufacturer says it is. Use a caliper to measure the inside of the barrel, and choose the ball size and patch size based on that actual measurement, and not the nominal bore diameter the factory stamps on the barrel. YOu will save yourself a lot of confusion, money and wasted time trying to use what works in someone else's gun, when your gun's bore diameter is not even close! And, these things vary from one lot to another with the same manufacturer, so don't even rely on someone who bought his gun from the same dealer on the same day at the same time as you did. Both of you need to measure your bores, to find out what they are so you can get the correct components. The .715 ball will probably work in your gun, but as you have already read, some use a very thin patch with that .715 ball to get good accuracy, while others recommend using a thicker patching.

The reason for the difference is that the bores are actually different diameters.

OKAY??? I hope that helps you have a lot more fun a lot sooner. :grin:

All,

I have a Pedersoli 2nd Model that seems to prefer an unpatched, .735 ball with 75 grains of 2F. (I built this piece a while back from a kit from Dixie Gun Works and I am very pleased and very happy with it).

At 50-60 yards, the first shot is a little off center, (it shoots a tad high and to the right), but the following rounds get tighter and more consistent. Perhaps the fouling is more of a help than a hinderance for the .735 ball?

I have tried a .715 ball with .10 patch, but did not have the same results as with the .735. I would assume that each musket is different in taste.

I also shoot a buck and ball combination with 75 grains of 2f, a .735 ball and 4-6, .310 shot on top with an overpowder card at 25-30 yards with decent results.

How about any suggestions for a successful grouse/turkey load with a Bess?

Cordially,

Gouge

Each musket is different. First measure your bore. With a 0.750" bore, I would start with a 0.715" dia ball. A lubed patch of 0.017 will bunch up and hold the ball well enough in the bore. I know this because that is what I use. Use whatever lube will work from spit to any lube out there that you think might work. Some muskets seem to prefer the 0.735" ball unpatched or very thin lubed paper. I do recommend a over shot card to hold the ball in place. You want a load that is easy to start in the barrel. 75 to 80 grains of ffg is a good powder charge. Use ffg for the prime charge.

wow!for what you guys are saying, I should lower the charge on my pedersoli.I always used 100 grs of ff or fg with a .730 dry very thin patch.I swab the barrel after each shot , couse if I don't it gets hard to load. in wich case I shoot unpatch.For pellets I found though , that I get best results with 70grs of FF.As for accuracy goes, at 25 yds I get arround 2-3 in and at 50 4-8 in, never tryed 75 but at 100 about 1 to 2 feet!
On a specific day when all the planets were aligned just so and the sun and the moon ... I ended up with one raged 5 shots hole at 25 and 1 1/2 in at 50 ,dead center.Been trying to do it again with no luck.

I just bought a used pedersoli brown bess and it sized up at .738. I guess a .715 would do in that.

Ronnie

Wow! 100 grains is a bit overkill in my humble opinion! I generaly shoot 60 to 70 but it's a matter of taste I guess! :v

100gr of 1f wouldn't be so bad. I usually use between 80gr - 90gr of KIK 2f in mine. I only load 100gr in a cartridge when I'll be priming from it as well.

Amazing! I load pretty much the same way as you.
And get very satisfactory results..Powder is 80
of ffg..Too much breach pressure with fff. and a
735 ball. I use a 69 cal ball with my paper cart
ridges..both work great and i have shot against
rifles for over ten years till I found some
glasses that allowed me to shoot rifles again..
I did my share of winning matches against those
rifles too...buck and ball,,shot,,I tried them
all as you did....fun huh???

Latest posts

Back