• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Alamama MZ season summary

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54ball

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Cold first part of the week.
Put out limb lines nights around 20 degrees.
Caught several catfish 1 was a 25 pounder.
Used my sons 20 bore Carolina with .610 ball Spanish moss wads.
Hunted first day in modern clothes, seen some does.
Caught some fish off the lines next morning.
In the afternoon I got in the mood and dressed out in my period 1814 clothes. Sat on may favorite stump in my favorite patch of woods.
A 6 point came up behind me, down wind the same way I came in.
He's dead.
The End.

Sounds like a fine day to me.

I hunted in Bama yesterday for the first time this year with my flintlock, Lauderdale Mgt Area. I live in Bama but hunt a friends farm in Tn most of the time.

Got up a tree, heard some deer running off the far ridge, hit my grunt call, one ran toward me lickety split, into the hollow below me and directly down wind, got a whiff of me and left, still a fun evening.

Was that at Waterloo? I hunted there once in 85 when we lived in Rogersville. Yep, we used to have #41 on our tags. From what I remember it was straight up and straight down, lots of hills,hollows and draws. They were not too high,just steep.

I was down South along the Alabama River. It can be pretty flat in the bottoms close to the river but there are micro mountains in that SW Al hill country. I was in some hardwood bottoms close to a slough.

We had a 6000 acre lease for 24 years at the junction of the Alabama and Cahaba rivers. Lots of deer there. One portion of it (~1500 acres) is now a public hunting area.

Where's the photo? :confused:

54ball said:
Was that at Waterloo?
Yep Waterloo is Lauderdale Management Area. My old stomppin' grounds :thumbsup: I have a lot of great memories from there. I hunted there for 25 years or more. I can remember what the woods looked like before the pines and the paper companies. :shake: Still a great place though :thumbsup: And you are correct 54ball it was 41 on the tags for along time. :wink:

Congrats on the deer and the catfish :thumbsup: What kind of bait did you use?

A good part of the mgt area is bare ground again, logged as far as you an see. The area has 20K acres now and opens for guns weeks at a time now instead of 2 days at a time although they still have a few 2 day hunts.

The place is covered up with hogs now, plenty of deer but few people are hunting there. I didn't see a soul or hear a shot when I was there the other day.

:hatsoff:

Congratulations!
That sounds like a wonderful hunt to me.

Seconding the need for a pic...

Silex

Sat on may favorite stump in my favorite patch of woods.

Dang if that don't sound familiar, been known to do that a time or two myself, seems most guys got one! Congrats on the deer, brother! :thumbsup:

Yep, I haven't been hunting yet myself, Will do a sightin' in and shooting season this Saturday to get everything dialed in, I have a .40 cal. that needs to be dialed in and gotten use too.

Great story... Congratulations! Now post a picture of your trophy.. :wink:

This was the gun I was using. My load was 90grms ffg, .610 ball and lubed Spanish moss rolled into wads. I use one wad over powder and the second wad over ball. I also prime with 2ffg.

The deer came in behind me feeding on acorns. I had to twist around and make the shot. Hunting with a smooth bore requires you to get close, it's exhilarating and I feel a lot of modern hunters miss that. Frankly some I know could not handle it.

This gun has proven itself in ranges well beyond what I expected. Last year my son killed a nice bore with it at 75 yards. I do not know what it is and I hate to sound superstitious but this gun has...for lack of a better term, got it. When we sighted it in last year, my son knocked the center out of the target. I shot it to make sure it was not a fluke, it wasn't. It just hits what you aim at. We made zero sight adjustments, it's just like it came from the maker.

On the other hand My percussion GPR which is a very good rifle has killed some hogs but has always came up short on deer for one reason or another. The Carolina Type G came killing stuff right out of the box.

My brother has a pic on his phone and I'll get on here as soon as I can get it.

This was my attire except for the gear, I wore a black felt slouch hat and of course the state required orange vest which I was sitting on in my "enclosed" natural blind. :wink:

Wow great story, not very long but great I doubt you will get hired as a hunting writer anytime soon though.

Latest posts

Back