• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Alamama MZ season summary

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
54ball said:
Here's the deer.

Nice one!, who made the smoothbore? very nice rifle! and shooting dead on right out of the box? Must have some hex signs on it :grin: to do that. I see those Type G smoothbores a lot and I think they're growing on me. Would it be O.k. to build one with a 16ga. barrel ?.

It's a Clay Smith gun.

I really like the Carolina Gun. The Creeks did too. :) Remains have been found in Fort Toulouse, Georgia and all through the Florida Panhandle, usually in creeks and rivers. So if you wanted a gun with a definite Alabama history, this is it.

The design goes back to the 17th Century. Remains were found in the Florida Platte wrecks circa 1710. At the time it was thought the wreck may have been contaminated by later items. Specimens were found off the Carolina Coast in the "Queen Ann's Revenge wreck" circa 1718. The relic record shows evidence as late as the 1780s. So the gun has a long history throughout the Colonial era and was pretty widespread with remnants found as far north as Vermont and as far west as the Dakotas.

As a gun maker you may be interested in this. One found about 15-20 years ago in the Suwanee River in Florida was still loaded. It was loaded with Palmetto fibers and a Lead ball. What was interesting was how the barrel was constructed. At the wedding band transition, the direction of the iron grain changed. So the octagonal portion and round portion were two different pieces of iron. To this day it is not exactly known how the British barrel makers accomplished this forging.

Since the Carolina Gun was a "light" musket I'm not sure if 16 bore would be appropriate. Research suggests most were around 24 gauge and weighed less than 5 pounds with barrel lengths of 46" or greater.

Smith offers these in Kit form IMHO the kits seem as good as Chambers, maybe better as Clay can do extra stuff to it if the customer desires. Smith's version is slighly more robust than other makers like Mike Brooks, Jack Brooks and Ben Coogle.

I have heard that Coogle's version is the most historically accurate, but honestly I have never seen one. He does not have a web site. It's said he based his version off of relics found in his native Georgia.

It's my opinion a version of one in 16 bore would be more of a slightly heavier English Trade Fowling Gun.

These are fun guns and Yes we did not have to do any adjustments on the sights. It just hits what you aim at. It will shoot slighly low and too the right at 60 grns. Bump back up to 80-90 grns and it's knocking the center out.

Latest posts

Back