• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Black Powder Firearm!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice looking RAG 60. I don't remember but there is a difference in #10 caps size on Remington and CCI. Most all these old revolvers use #10

Yeah, could be an Actual #10 size. The new Uberti and Pietta guns must have changed things a bit to make the nipples fit both 10's and 11's. Even if they do that poorly.

I've actually got some new (2023-2024 guns) unmolested Pietta and Uberti 1860 cylinders. So I pulled a nipple from each to compare with with the Rigarmi.

To the naked eye it's kinda hard to see the differences. Lots of optical illusions. The Rigarmi cone is definitely a lot shorter looking though.

Nipple Size Comparisons 2.png

Took some calipers to all of them, and here's the data. The Rigarmi cone is definitely smaller in every dimension. Dunno if that makes it a true #10 or something smaller.
Nipple Size Comparisons.png

Thread Diameter and pitch is identical to Pietta, which I believe is 6x0.75 mm. A Pietta nipple threads cleanly into the cylinder, but it is way too long. Gonna see if I can find something to fit. If not, Pietta nipples could be shortened to work in a pinch.

Yeah, could be an Actual #10 size. The new Uberti and Pietta guns must have changed things a bit to make the nipples fit both 10's and 11's. Even if they do that poorly.

I've actually got some new (2023-2024 guns) unmolested Pietta and Uberti 1860 cylinders. So I pulled a nipple from each to compare with with the Rigarmi.

To the naked eye it's kinda hard to see the differences. Lots of optical illusions. The Rigarmi cone is definitely a lot shorter looking though.

View attachment 356538

Took some calipers to all of them, and here's the data. The Rigarmi cone is definitely smaller in every dimension. Dunno if that makes it a true #10 or something smaller.
View attachment 356539
Thread Diameter and pitch is identical to Pietta, which I believe is 6x0.75 mm. A Pietta nipple threads cleanly into the cylinder, but it is way too long. Gonna see if I can find something to fit. If not, Pietta nipples could be shortened to work in a pinch.
That's a lot of difference. And like you said, the Pietta can be shortened.

Welcome aboard. I guarantee you that this purchase will not be your last BP firearm. Seems like every forum that I join costs me money!

This is by far one of the best, if not the best, forum that I belong to.

Enjoy but hold on to your wallet!

That's a lot of difference. And like you said, the Pietta can be shortened.

Yep. I didn't find anything that was a perfect match.

Track of the Wolf sells these in stainless and hardened steel:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=PIR-ES
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=PIR-EI

They are very close, the nipple cone is just a bit short. Don't know if it's enough to affect reliability.

GLOCKer, if your gun has the factory nipples, I'd be pretty surprised if they're not the same as mine. Might be best to try the ones above, or modify some Pietta nipples just to be safe. That or see if you can find some #10 percussion caps. I've yet to find any for sale the last several years.

I had some factory Pietta nipples from guns that have had slix-shot nipples swapped onto them. I've got a micro lathe, so taking material off of both ends of the Pietta nipples was easy. You can leave the longer threads, and they'll still fit the gun, but I was concerned about more fouling, and possibly trapping embers.

These things are harder than expected. I used carbide to cut them as it dulled the first high speed steel bit I tried. You could do the same with a drill and stones/sand paper, but it would probably take a while.

PiettaModdedNipples-2.png

Slide on easy, and stay in place. I'll still likely seat them with a piece of wood or antler like normal. With the cones shortened, the bit the caps sit on is fatter the whole length. These make better #11 nipples on the Rigarmi than they ever would have on the Pietta they're made for.

PiettaModdedNipples-1.png

Fired off all 6 perfectly. No cap jams. They all split and fell out the loading cutout.

Back