• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first flintlock deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bender20

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Friday night I shot my first doe with a flint lock. Used a .50 Thompson Center Hawken 75 grains of FF and PRB. I will upload a picture when I figure out how to.

I had been watching four doe from the start of archery season, but this year I really wanted to shoot my first deer with the ole smoke pole, and Friday night I finally got the chance.

I went out Thursday night and didn't see anything, but Friday night they showed up just like they had been all year. She walked out at about 330 and I watched her for about a half hour and she finally presented herself broadside at 50 yards. A year ago I don't think I would have been able to feel comfortable with taking the shot but this summer I work really hard with the gun trying to "cure" myself of the dreaded flinch. I also messed with different charges of powder and realized that it wasn't necessary to use a lot of powder to get good results. Thanks for all of the great information here, it was really helpful and I learned a lot from all of you guys.

To finish the story, my shot was a little low and back resulting in a gut shot and she managed to run 500 yards before finally expiring. I must say I had a lot of fun shooting the flintlock all summer, but now I am definitely hooked. It was really cool to think that I had been able to do what men had done in these same woods 200 or so years ago. The only problem is now I want another gun. I think a smooth rifle is in order. I dunno we'll have to see.

Excellent! Now you're hooked!! :wink: Keep practicing and putting Bambis in the freezer! :thumbsup:

Patocazador said:
Glad you found her. That's great. :grin:

I missed my shot at a deer with a flintlock a week ago. :(
Your time will come brother.

Congratulations to theOP :hatsoff:

Cedar sent making arrows is nice but bp smoke is bad jue jue addictive :haha:

B.

Great story but we need a picture of the deer and the gun to put the icing on the cake. Congrats!

Back