• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Horn & Shooting Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nc_cooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished making my first horn and shooting bag.This is my first attempt at both, so fire away. :grin:
The horn is left hand and 15" around the OS curve. The pour plug is maple and the butt plug is unknown wood.
The shooting pouch is about 7"x8" and made from 4/5oz veggie tan. It has two outside pockets and one inside.
Here are a few pics. (pollen was added by nature)

P4080001.jpg

P4080005.jpg

P9040006.jpg

P9040007.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Mike

Nice job, I see ya got a little angle on the strap that's good, and made it asjustable that's good,,and a bellow on the bottom, nice touch.
I like to trim the welting a bit closer to the seam.
Nice job on the colors,,you left a little "patina" look to it :thumbsup:

Wow you did a real nice job on both of them !! really like you bag

SgtSchutzen, I first dyed the horn in Rit= 2 boxes golden yellow+1cc Rit liquid dark brown+1cc liquid scarlet. After drying, i applied Fiebing dark brown leather dye and sprinkled some dry black pigment. Then just lightly wiped it with a piece flanel.
necchi, I did leave the welt a bit too wide. Better next time.
Thanks to all for the compliments.

Hey, Knfmkr, that's a good rig. I like the leather color on the bag. I have to ask: Is that tensioning wrap (couldn't think of anything else to call it) with laces on the strap a traditional way of doing it or is it your own design? I continue to try and learn things with everything I see.
:bow: :v

Deano, I don't know how traditional the stitch is, but where I grew up it was in common use to quickly join leather straps. I remember my Great Grand Ma calling it a blanket stitch for leather.
When put in tension, each stitch tightens the other.
Thanks to all for the nice words. I looked at a lot of horns and bags before I started and borrowed a bit here and there. I wanted the rig to look old, simple and reasonably functional, sorta like me. :grin:
Mike

Back