• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first muzzleloader was?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just or the fun of it, what was your first muzzleloader and in what year did you get it?

I'll start! In 1962 I saw at a local gun shop, a
Brazilian muzzleloading smoothbore for $25.00. It was no more than a "pipe bomb", as it was very cheap built. Thin walled barrel about .40 caliber, full stocked with nailed on....yes! Nailed on butt plate, trigger guard and steel ramrod. I saved up my paper route money and bought it along with 100 musket caps. I never did more than snap a few caps on it...thank God I didn't have some lead balls and powder, but this "Puppy" was mine and I was very proud of it! I still have that gun and bring it out and show friends once in a while. Probably will always keep it for those early memories.

Rick

Gosh, when I saw the title, I was going to talk about the .45 CVA Mountain rifle I still have, but when I read your post, I remembered that, in about 1969, Dixie G.W. offered a "kit" a 28 ga bbl that they'd found in a warehouse, an equally old metal ramrod, trigger guard and butt plate..a new wood stock,a lock with an old plate and a new hammer and a new simple zinc trigger. It cost $14.95. I put it together, and then, not knowing anything about cap sizes, took the nipple out to go to a gunshop and buy caps that would fit....came home, put the nipple back, crossed threads, broke the nipple off with a visegrip plyer, and then screwed it up further by trying to get the nipple out with a screw retriever. Finally took it to a local "antique" consignment shop and placed it with a 3x5 card that said, "fowling piece, guns such as this used by early settlers for same purpose as modern shotgun. Guaranteed NOT to fire"..and priced it at $25. It sold the first Sunday afternoon to some NYC tourists out for a drive in the country. Since the consignment operator got 40%, I made my original $14.95 back...It got me hooked though, and I was shooting a Mountain rifle within the year...Hank

my first one was in 1969 and it was a c.v.a. ky rifle kit and have had a spot for them ever since. :thumbsup:

If you are including revolvers a 1851 CVA brass frame Colt 36cal cap and ball revolver i built 25 years ago. If you are talking frontloader a synthetic stock CVA Bobcat 50cal i bought for 50.00 new three years ago it is still the only BP rifle i own. This is going to sound crazy but i like that rifle. Maybe i just don't know any better. The only thing i know is that i own 30 rifles most of them are surplus. I might take a AK and a AR to the range one time and a Mosin Nagant and my M1 the next but i always bring my Muzzle loader. It is a pleasure reading this forum and learning from experienced black powder shooters.

Mike

A Cabela's Hawken .54 1:48" twist. About 15 years ago.

I had one very similar to yours,got it at a pawn shop 1966,about 20 dollars,2 piece wood,don't remember the caliber but it was metric,got a mold from DIXIE,ME I shot it,was a piece of manure,didn't last too long,had a metal ramrod,,, :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: I'M STILL HERE[maybe not for long] :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: got 2 cheapo pistols from there also...what was in my mind/ :nono: :nono: :nono:

I guess "my" first one was a Charles Daly Hawken that looks like all the ones put out by Cabela's, CVA, etc. My dad picked it up in 2000 from someone at a church he preached for because he thought I'd like it since I was always a Davy Crockett nut. The bore was pitted and rusted to manure, and the sear broke after about 5 shots, but it was enough.

His first muzzleloader is the TN longrifle I shoot now because he never got into it until I built him one last year. It was the first one I ever shot and really the first one anyone in our family ever got.

Swamp Rat said:
Not sure what this topic has to do with the Craftsman forum but mine would be a T/C Renegade bought in 1983.

Sorry Swamp Rat! :( I didn't mean to throw anybody a curve, but thought it was a good topic of interest and not anymore out of line than some of the other topic's on this thread. :surrender:

CVA kentucky flint when I was 13.
My 2nd was the classic arms "duckfoot" pistol, the 3 barreled smoothbore thing.
Fired it once,packed full of bbs almost broke my wrist.

Mine was a Minute Man Flintlock kentucky rifle by Numrich Arms way back in 1976. It was a kit and I spruced it up some with brass tacks and rawhide wraps just like Ol' Bridger's Gill. My dad still has that rifle.

Cooner, That was my second rifle in 45 caliber flint. Made it from a kit, and it was a good shooter. Wish I still had it.

1962. Parris civil War 'replica' rifle musket. It fired cork balls powered by Mattel caps. A real 'caplock'. Had steel ramrod and a bayonet. Eventually had a uniform to go with it.

.54 TC Renegade, used for $200, I think it was 1988-89ish, I know I was at college and got it at a small gun shop in the mountains of western MD. Killed a few deer with it, kid I take hunting killed his first deer with it just last week. Still love that gun, although it feels a bit heavy and clunky after building a nice flint longrifle...

Tennessee Mt Rifle direct from the hands of Turner Kirkland in the 80's.
I was a late starting flinter.
Love 'em.

Mine was a fullstock planes rifle, 54 cal. 1 1/8 barrel with a twigg flintlock and brass furniture. built this in 1974 with parts bought from my brother in law and a friend of his. Wasn't all correct parts but I had a blast shooting it! :grin:

mine was a DGW snake eyes derranger that my brother gave me for my birthday in 1979, Some A#$H#$% stole it at a news years party I held in 1984 Dang I miss that pistol, You could almost hit a door with it from across the room. :rotf:

My first Bp weapon was a .44 cal colt revolver (Italian job) that I traded a set of 4 Chrome Reverses from my 58 Chey for I think this was about "70". Fired it for a few years with some buddies, then later traded it for a Router for my workshop. Wish I still had it.

Back