• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first muzzleloader was?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, you really are old--you may take the prize as the first user of MLers here...heck I wasn't even born until 1944...

horner75 said:
Just or the fun of it, what was your first muzzleloader and in what year did you get it?
Rick

First was Civil War SURPLUS purchased from Numrich Arms in NY. From the American Rifleman advertisement. It was NEW UNISSUED Springfield Cap lock 58 Caliber if I recall. Cost was about 50 BUCKS delivered by Railway Express to my door.

My first ML was a flint Ashmore/Azmore? made in 1800/1810 in woodstock connecticut.it had no rear sight and a inconsistent bore size .561 at breech .567 at muzzle and a loose breech plug It was found in the rafters of a woolen mill machine shop(Keegen's mill) on the french river in Wilsonville[url] CT.in[/url] the early 1940s by my Grandfather,he gave it to me in 1955. my Grandson owns it now. bought a well used Remington Zouave .58 musket in 1960--SPUD

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a CVA Hawkin .50 cal. pistol kit at a local hardware store in '80, shot it quite a lot (still have it, shoots good and I'm planning a refinish this winter) but wasn't really 'bitten by the bug' until '87 when I bought the first of several C&B revolvers, Pietta 'Buffalo' models, soon after a CVA 'mountain' rifle, .50 cal(still have, shoots OK) now I have 3 rifles - 2 CVA, 1 T/C and 2 C&P revolvers my Pietta '58 and a ROA. and of course the one that started it for me my CVA Hawkin pistol

If we are going with first rifle. Sometime in the 60's when CVA first came out a .50 Mountain Rifle that my son now shoots. In between more than I could ever use at one time. The latest came 2 days ago a .45 CVA Mountain Rifle (Made in the USA) never put together. Now the Son and I will have almost matching rifles. How many more are to come only one man knows and its not me.
Fox :hatsoff:

a CVA .45 Kentucky rifle...the one with the 2 piece stock. I was 14, and worked on it for weeks, candy-striping the ramrod, multiple coats of tru-oil, browning and polishing the barrel, etc.

I was a ----head of a kid at age 14, and my dad used the kit as an incentive for me to do better in school and improve my attitude. When I look back now, I can see how it allowed us to remain in communication and work together. :hmm:

BTW, I still have the rifle, and it shoots accurate!

My first BP gun was a cheap 1858 Armi Sport .44 New Model Army C&B revolver that was my Dad's. Dad passed on in '82 and I shot it some till it went out of time. Wasn't worth fixing and the trigger used to cut my finger!

First rifle is the one that I use now...A Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 cal caplock bought about 3 years ago.

Now I'm collecting & shooting C&B wheelguns!

Dave

My first was a Dixie Ketucky kit
45cal about 1978, my second was a Tenn. Mt. rifle 50cal. 1980. B. P.

Mike Roberts said:
Bob, you really are old--you may take the prize as the first user of MLers here...heck I wasn't even born until 1944...
Bob needs to change his handle to "older'n dirt'" Laws he's 10 years olden'n me. :hatsoff:

Black Powder said:
My first was a Dixie Ketucky kit
45cal about 1978, my second was a Tenn. Mt. rifle 50cal. 1980. B. P.
me too, except mine was a CVA Kentucky Pistol kit. Bought and built in 1978 or 1979 I think.

My first was a T/C Hawken in kit form my grandfather gave to me. He'd bought it to put together and never got around to it. He gave it to me one day when I was eyeing it.

Put it together with help from my dad. Hunted with it that fall.

Still have it but it's sporting a new stock. :grin:

My first was a 45 cal. flintlock with a straight octagon barrel, curly maple stock and glued on wooden patchbox lid. It didn't have a patch box so I guess it was a faux box. This was sometime in the mid 70's. It was stolen in the mid eighties. It wasn't much but I sure wish I still had it.

Don R

I ain't had mine nearly as long as most of you. I found the love of BP later in life. My first and only bp gun so far is a TC Renegade in 50 cal. I have shot many deer with this gun in the last 16 years and hope to do a few more.

Got a 50cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter about six years ago. I wanted it for shooting PRB, had no idea what "hunter" ment LOL. It shot PRB pretty decent though. I dont shoot it much, but still have it.

Mine was a T/C Seneca 45. Got it for my 10th Birthday in Nineteen Hundred and Seventy Nine.

Gave it to my boy last year on his 10th birthday.

First one I bought was a T/C Renegade 50 back in 90.

Headhunter

I was sixteen in 1982 when I bought my TC .54 Renegade for $160. I sold it to a co-worker sometime in the 1990s for what I paid for it and regretted it. Then I bought it back from him a few years later for less than I sold it to him for.

What I wanted was a TC Hawken, but I didn't want to man up to the price, which was about $80 more, again IIRC.

First one was a CVA Mountain Rifle Kit (the one with the douglas barrel)in the late 70's. Paid about $60. for it at a Britt's Department store in Winchester, KY, that was going out of business. Still own it and shoot it often.

cva .45 kentucky kit in 1976 from the log cabin. still have it and my boy shoots it. :thumbsup:

First one was a Rigarmi 58 Remmy I bought in 69 when I was 12. Still have it. First rifle was a .45 flinter when I was 13. Never sparked right and I got rid of it. Never owned another one. Sure wish I had a good flinter tho, maybe one of these days.

Back