• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie_X

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Pawn shops are always a wonderful place to go and look for deals that you wouldn't find elsewhere. My good deal was a made in the USA, CVA plains rifle in .45 caliber with a plum brown finish on the barrel, asking price $75 out the door.

Other than some light surface rust on the lands and grooves from being stored for several months in less than optimal conditions I can't see anything wrong with it. There's no corrosion from powder fouling or cracks in the stock or anything like that.

That sounds liie a good deal. I think you'll find those CVA rifles were good shooters. Enjoy your rifle. :thumbsup:

Well you can expect a few issues to crop up, ya never know what all has been done or not done,
,but for $75 it's hard to go wrong.
All the help you need is here on the forum. :grin:

If you have the made in USA barreled Mountain rifle you have what I consider the best rifle CVA ever made!Easily worth several times what you paid for it! :idunno: :idunno:

I agree with O Ramrod; those are really neat. I've got the Mountain Rifle stock and American barrel and hope to eventually rebuild it.

I had a beauty that I sold back in the early 80's when I left Alaska. I've often regretted that! :(

Howard just confirmed that his pawn shop find is a Mountain Rifle, not a Plains Rifle, by looking at the pics in my post. I'd say he scored big time!

Now, when ya gonna shoot it?

Once the weather permits. It's been really rough lately.

Anyway these are some pictures showing the details of what I got.

100_2644.jpg

100_2645.jpg

100_2646.jpg

100_2647.jpg

100_2648.jpg

100_2649.jpg

100_2650.jpg

Yes believe it or not I only spent $75 on it. I was as amazed as you about the screws being either straight or very close to straight.

I already applied a good coating of CLP to the barrel to protect the browning finish and it looked good.

That's what people keep saying when they see it. Only time will tell how it works when its tested.

To be honest it's not the best deal I could've gotten. The same shop had a Thompson Center Hawken flintlock rifle in .45 for $125, but at the time I didn't have any interest in a flintlock. But I spread the word at another site and helped arrange a sale for somebody that actually wanted a flintlock.

This rifle just keeps getting better. A closer examination of the inside of the lock reveals no country of origin. There's nothing to indicate that it was made in Spain.

I would use Evapo-Rust or Naval Jelly in the bore. Clean it afterwards with VERY hot soapy water. Clean it again with Ballistol.

The rust does appear light, so maybe there is no pitting. Hard to tell from a pic, though.

Try some Pledge Clean and Shine on the stock.

I never run across the deals. They look out the window and say "here comes Gene, change the price stickers, QUICK!

flintlock62 said:
I would use Evapo-Rust or Naval Jelly in the bore. Clean it afterwards with VERY hot soapy water. Clean it again with Ballistol.

The rust does appear light, so maybe there is no pitting. Hard to tell from a pic, though.

Try some Pledge Clean and Shine on the stock.

I never run across the deals. They look out the window and say "here comes Gene, change the price stickers, QUICK!

I'm right there with you on the deals! I always seem to miss em too.

If the rust is real light, I'm not sure I would use naval jelly on it, that stuff is pretty nasty. I seem to recall it can eat the metal if left on too long. (could be wrong, sorry if I am. I haven't used the stuff since I was a kid)

look's good. that rifle look's like it's just beggin' to go and pop a cap, man what a good deal!

Back