• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Sage Grouse!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
At last my hunting season has started! Since I drew no big Game tags, I will be happy to spend my autumn and winter chasing small Game.

The first season in Nevada that offered me any hunting opportunity was Sage Grouse! Blue grouse has been on since September 1st as well as Dove, but as you can see from the photos, there are no blue grouse or dove anywhere, so I waited for Sage grouse season to open.

After the 2.5 hour drive to where the units are open for sage grouse hunting, even though I have lots of birds 10 minutes away which are closed to hunting, I got down and loaded my 12 Gauge side by side.

Since they are rather large birds I loaded it up with 70 grains of FF and 80 grains of #5's. I let Harley, my German Shorthair, down from the jeep and started beating the brush next to a spring where I have seen birds in the past. The plan was for my father-in-law to hit another spring down the road. Harley and I worked the Hill for over an hour with No birds.

Upon returning to the Jeep we drove down to where there was another spring. I Unloaded Harley and immediately she went on point about 30 yards away!

Harley%20On%20Point%20GRSG_zpsuvaybw7d.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I pulled both hammers back and slowly eased foreword. For being such a large bird they can hide in the smallest brush. I thought she was pointing a chipmunk or something when the grass exploded and out flew a Large Sage Grouse! I swung on the massive bird and pulled the front trigger. The Hammer dropped and the 12 belched smoke! Through the cloud of smoke I saw the bird fold. It hit the ground and began to try and run.

Harley and I ran for the bird. Suddenly two more birds flew up! I raised the 12 and pulled the trigger. I tried to swing and Pull, but the gun was silent! Double triggers Dummy!! The large birds were out of range fast!!

I reached the bird and two more birds exploded from cover. This time my brain new to use the back trigger. but the birds flew over the Jeep, so the gun again stayed silent. Momma would not appreciate holes in the windshield, no matter the reason.

I tried to reload, but somehow I had lost the tip of my loading rod so I could not get the over shot cards to go down flat. With one barrel still good, we looked for the birds but they were gone.

I was hoping to have a bird to mount but the #5 did a number on the wing. So I guess Ill have to try again! Darn!!

My father-in-law got on some birds too. He smoked two so we had some meat for the pot. I had been told that Sage Grouse was not good eats, but on the contrary my wife and I thought it was quite delicious!

Me%20and%20Har%20GRSG%2010.28.16_zpsqup60ntd.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Congratulations! Really enjoyed reading about the hunt! :hatsoff:

Congrats. My 1st sage grouse was also my last. I never got a chance to hunt them again.

I can't tell from the photo,was it a cock or a hen?

It was in fact a nice Rooster. Which is what I was hoping for to have it taxidermy! Hind sight I should have removed the cape and tail and at least done a wall mount.

I went out yesterday again and there were none to be found.

When I got to the area is was spitting rain which turned into snow. It did not last long or stick, but the moisture the last few days has spread them out so they were not on the water anymore. I ran into an elk hunter and he said he had been seeing them up above mid slope on the larger hills.

The season ends Sunday but I don't think I will get out again before then. especially since its 170 miles one way.

Latest posts

Back