• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first turkies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
turkey2011009.jpg
turkey2011012.jpg

This was my first ever turkey hunt and my first blackpowder harvest.What a "BLAST". Well anyhow it was the third day of the hunt and we set up on a meadow that we had seen a Tom strutting his stuff in the morning before. Just at first light we could hear the Tom gobbling at fly down time. Another Tom was sounding off further up the ridge. We sat quiet and let them do their own thing. It sounded like the two Toms were going to once again use the meadow that we were set up on. The gobbling continued for about ten minutes and things went quiet. I figured they had moved off but no they were locked in battle and were pushing and shoving their way right towards me. As the two Toms moved closer I got ready for my shot. I will tell you that the limit in this section of eastern washington is two bearded turkies. I was ready to pull off the unthinkable.I steadied my T/C NewEnglander and squeezed the shot off. BOOM-Smoke and loud flapping and both birds fell over dead. I could not believe that I had just killed two birds with one stone so to speak. My hunting partner ran up and he was floored. He told me thought we would get one but two wow no way! It was a fine morning made even finer by taking two fine birds with good friends and a good gun.

Wow! A "2-fer!" You had better retire from Turkey Hunting NOW, as there is little chance that you will ever duplicate that feat again. Get an affidavit from you hunting buddy, as its going to get harder and harder to convince people in the future that it happened even this time!
Congratulations, and thank you for posting the pictures, and telling us your story. Can you tell us what the distance was for your shot, and what load you use in your gun? Thanks. :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats on a great hunt. them sure are some pretty birds. I love the white in the tail feathers. I have never got to hunt anything but easterns but always wanted too. :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

A terrific memorable hunt you won't ever forget...great photos too...congratulations !!
:hatsoff:

(curious...any idea what that yellow thing is on the side of that tree directly out past / behind you? Reminds me of a coleman lantern but I can't imagine that's the case)

The shot was between 20-25 yards. My load for this hunt was 80grns ffg Goex,1 hard op card,1 lubed light denim 1 1/16" wide X 3 3/4" long strip with a slightly smaller os card pushed down to the bottom of the denim strip, 1 5/8 oz #5 lead shot, topped off with 1 thin os card. (learned the strip patching method from this forum). The birds had their heads wrapped around eachother so it was like shooting at one giant turkey head.
Roundball- the yellow thing that you see on the tree behind is an old logging boundry marker of some sort. Thanks for the good words, it sure was fun and yes it will never happen that way again I'm sure.

OMG! Go NOW and buy a lottery ticket!

Congrats on the two-fer! That "ain't never gonna happen again, no sir!" :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing & nice photo too! :thumbsup:

Dave

That's incredible!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Congrats on that once in a lifetime shot! :thumbsup:

Shame on you for putting that on here. Now you're going to get me in trouble for skirting home duties to go turkey hunting.

Latest posts

Back