• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
The first of January.
My first hunt of the new year.
The first time I ever hunted the Marshall County public hunting area.
The first squirrel I saw when I got there.
The first gray squirrel I EVER saw while hunting.
The first shot I ever fired at meat with my Roy Stroh semi-custom .36 longrifle.
The first gray squirrel I ever killed.
The first squirrel I ever killed with a flintlock.
Purty good day of firsts. :thumbsup:

HPIM0724.jpg

I saw him working his way thru the treetops from 75 yards and snuck up to about 20. Leaned against a tree and waited for a good shot. He finally came out in the clear and I put a .350 ball right thru his noggin. That little ball sure does a number on 'em.

Warning, graphic picture follows... if you don't want to see it, quit scrolling now.

HPIM0726.jpg

That li'l rifle cracks 'em off quick as lightnin' and puts 'em where ya point 'em. :grin:

Jethro
Nice rifle and way to go on the gray. My 32 cal rifles will do the same damage as your picture shows. Bought the first one 25 years ago thinking it would do very little damage to squirrels boy was I wrong. Good luck on your future Hunts.
Merch

Way to go! Hope that is the first of many. You did well to sneak up that close this time of year. Oh yeah, sharp looking gun! :thumbsup:

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil to the couple of firsts! :thumbsup:

And a happy new year!!

Kirrmeister

Awesome! great shot too! Glad you got to go out and post a pic. Im getting cabin fever bad. Its been in the negatives (without wind chill) for going on 2 weeks now.

Great looking gun, Jim, and a fine shot on that squirrel, I am glad you had the presense of mind to have a camera along to take the pictures. I wish you many more successful hunts with that flintlock. Its just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on! :rotf: :rotf: :hatsoff:

Jethro, do you have the top pic uncropped and could you send it to me? For Roy's "Guns in action" page, I'd like a full pic if you got it.

WOW!! whata shot!! outstanding. :hatsoff:
Now I no why those poor Brits didnt stand a chance against our founding fathers. :grin:

Swamp Rat said:
Jethro, do you have the top pic uncropped and could you send it to me? For Roy's "Guns in action" page, I'd like a full pic if you got it.

here's a link to it, http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c188/jethro224/Muzzleloader Stuff/HPIM0725.jpg

If you can't steal it from there, I can e-mail it to you.

There was a neat looking wad of thick grapevine just down from where I shot the squirrel so I used it for a prop. :grin:

I've been trying to remember the camera every time I go out. You just never know what kinds of cool stuff you might find out in the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
paulvallandigham said:
Great looking gun, Jim, and a fine shot on that squirrel, I am glad you had the presense of mind to have a camera along to take the pictures. I wish you many more successful hunts with that flintlock. Its just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on! :rotf: :rotf: :hatsoff:

I've been itchin' to get some squirrels with the flitlock, but this is only the 3rd time I've had it out hunting. The first was back in August right after the season opened. It was mid-afternoon and HOT out. The squirrels had better sense than me and stayed out of sight. The second time, in September, I had several chances to shoot squirrels but I was sitting on a log and a doe and fawn came right up and bedded near me. I was having too much fun watching them to shoot.

HPIM0624.jpg

There's still time to get out a few more times before the season ends. Hopefully I'll get to hunt longer next trip.

Back