• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix113

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Wind finally settled down this morning after Sandy pushed through and we had our first frost of the year. Wasn’t no way I was going to sleep in this morning. Got my gear and headed across the road to my ladder stand. After getting into my little 10 foot ladder stand, I put a primer cap on my New Englander 50 cal. and settled in. I looked at my watch and it was 7:59, I looked my rifle over again just to make sure that it was ready and looked across the field and saw a yearling ease out of the woods into the edge of the field across from me. By 8:02 nine does and one little fork horn were in the field nibbling at acorns that had fallen during all the wind over the past several days. I picked out the fattest one of the does and laid the sight on her. At the shot she bolted about 30 yards and stopped to see what had bit her. She folded right there. My first deer this year”¦my first with a muzzleloader on this property”¦and my first with patched round balls. Life is good!
1101120842a.jpg

Congratulations!! Nice shooting and thats a nice fat doe! :thumbsup: that will be some fine eating. Prb does it again!.

She was around 45 yards. I use 60 grains of Pyrodex and .490 Hornady 177 grain round ball. The hit was a little low and clipped the heart but it exited the other side and broke the elbow on the right side going out.

Nice job! Good deer...I know I like my New Englander, really good hunting rifle. Wish you many more in the future. Take care.

Back