• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My forge works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a few of the things I built this weekend on the forge....
I also made vent picks and some 48" fire irons. I'm definitly going to re-work the mountain man forks to a better point in the tines and bend down the multi-tools into an arc. They don't work well in a possibles bag.
Building things with fire is fun, but I recomend wearing a hat, I caught my hair of fire.

myfirstBSproject.jpg

Ahhh ... another soul seduced over to the Dark Side! :grin:

Blacksmithing can be Addictive! :youcrazy:

Just remember, things get easier to make after every dozen you make. :winking:

Caught your hair on fire? Haven't done that, yet. Altho, I have singed the hair from my knuckles. :haha:

Keep up the good work.

yhs
Mike Ameling

I had the beard singed on the left side pretty bad but it wasnt from blacksmithing . Man I gotta get a shack set up and get my forge working

Good job, man. Wait till you find out just how addicting blacksmithing is. :rotf:
Let's see some pictures of your shop.

Hair on fire! :hmm:

Iva heard of gettin yor head inta yor work .. but doncha think yas over doin it a bit! :shocked2: :rotf:

Davy

I have a tool like the right top one that instead of the point it has a curl that is shape of the screwdriver on bottom,it is bent so the curl is up facing the hammer part. You hook the curl on the bottom of your flint while it is in your lock and just catch the bottom edge of flint and put a little pressure force back toward you and you can knapp your flint. On the forks my son-in-law makes them by spliting a piece of steel stock,and forming them. I have a forge but have't use it yet. I have made a knife and fire steels at the camp fire. Dilly

Looks like you're having fun. What kind of forge are you using? Gas or coal? I have both and the propane one is handy to use if I'm in a hurry but there's nothing like the smell of a coal forge!
Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

I recomend wearing a hat, I caught my hair of fire

Lloyd,

Wetting down those fines into a paste-like slurry will keep the amount of flying-flaming-fragments down to a minimum, but there's nothing like a good hood and flue to keep your 'doo in one piece. What I really hate is getting one of those flamers in the glove I wear on my tong hand.

Post some pics of your forge. I'd be interested in seeing it. Mine looks like something Sanford and Son would've thrown away. Haven't been able to use it recently due to dry weather and fire restrictions.

Nice work. Smithing is fun, aint it?

Sean

Back