• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My GPR is a shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irataylor

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my GPR to the range today, my second time
shooting the rifle. I have added a RMC vent liner.
Really makes a difference. I am working up a hunting
load to be used this Thanksgiving. My first three shots
were virtually one hole. My fourth shot made the group
1 1/4. I pulled the last shot getting a 1 1/2 inch group
at 50yds. 530rb, 70grs FF with a 0.18 T/C pillow ticking
patch. I am pleased that my first shot grouped with the
rest of the group. I am cleaning between shot using a
damp Windex patch followed by a dry patch.
I will continue working the load next weekend at
100 yards.

I have a .54 cal. GPR flinter that shoots excellent at 50 yards with .530 ball, 80 grains of FFg Goex and pillow ticking with moose milk. At 100 yards, I kept everything the same, except I increased the powder by 10 grains, to 90. Using the same sight picture, I got the same point of impact. With the right load and a good set of eyes, these GPRs with the primitive sights will give a scoped 30-06 a run for the money at 100 yards. You just have to do your part. Your GPR will do it :thumbsup: .

Thanks for the info I will try increasing
the loads and see what happens this weekend.

Cowpoke:

I totally agree and I have a nice scoped 30.06 with all the bells and whistles.

Back when I got into muzzleloading I played around with a lot of different rifles and wasn't really very impressed.

And before I got them, I had my doubts on my .54 Lyman GPR-H and my .54 Cabela's PBR, but each have long since proved their worth

Osage

Back