• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you just file the the owners manual off the barrel ?

i need to do that to mine also.
You need to draw file the writing off. Be careful as you must hold the file flat so as to maintain the shape and lines of your barrel. All flats must be even and the same size. Follow up with some emery cloth to blend the filed area so it matches the rest of the finish of the barrel. Add your blue or browning and your done.
Good Shooting, Fuzzy Sites

I can't think of a worse waste of time than filing off the manufacturer's name on a GPR barrel. Does anyone really thing there are people out there that won't recognize its a factory barrel?? Stop trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Please! :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup:

You could turn it into a swamped barrel.

I'd just as soon leave the markings and when people ask what it is I'd be willing to show it to them and let them compliment me on my alterations.

Guys I know of on another forum just bought a CVA rifle of some sort and turned it into a fine looking rifle.

finished5.jpg

f10.jpg

f8.jpg

f7.jpg

I can't think of a worse waste of time than filing off the manufacturer's name on a GPR barrel. Does anyone really thing there are people out there that won't recognize its a factory barrel?? Stop trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Please!
I wasn't trying to disguise the factory barrel. I just wanted to have a little fun and assemble a nice looking rifle from a simple kit.
Sorry you feel this way but I have always preferred a sow's ear sans script. :)

You could turn it into a swamped barrel.
I initially wanted to file it half octogon, half round with a wedding band but my arms were too tired after removing all that lettering. :)

I think your rifle is a thing of beauty. It's obvious someone has never built a GPR :shake: . It states in the instructions to draw file the barrel. A lot of people don't like all that stamping on their barrels. I did the same when I built my .54 GPR flint kit. I also have a production .54 GPR percussion I bought 30 years ago. You just can't beat a .54 :thumbsup:

Paul,

If the guy wants to paint his stock blue and his barrel red so be it. Who cares? If he wants to file off his markings that is his business. Sow's ears make some great purses.

Greg

Die Stamped writings on commercial barrels identify the manufacturer, the caliber, and provide safety information, on some brands. Removing those markings does not fool anyone as to made the gun, IF IT CAN BE DONE. I have seen and worked on barrels where the stampings could actually be felt, and seen( using a bore light) on the inside of the barrel. I don't know how anyone could file off those markings completely.

Care also needs to be given to caliber, and the depth of the markings. It may not be Safe to try to file off markings completely, because of the amount of metal needed to be removed to do so. I would worry, for instance, about filing off most GPR markings on a .54 caliber barrel, but be much less concerned with filing off the markings on a .50 caliber barrel of the same width.

If someone wants to file off a perfectly good barrel, its their gun, and have at it. The cost of replacing the barrel may be less than the cost of a new gun. If you want a pink rifle, who am I to object??? :idunno: :blah: :surrender: :hatsoff:

It all depends on what part of San Francisco you are living in, and what time period. :surrender: :rotf: :hmm: :idunno: :hatsoff:

It is very nice, much nicer than the factory guns.
How does the Davis trigger work for you? I am also considering trying one either on the GPR or my TC Hawken.

It is very nice, much nicer than the factory guns.

Thanks, one of the reasons I wanted to assemble this kit was that I thought I could make a nicer rifle than a factory rifle. I am pleased with the results.

How does the Davis trigger work for you? I am also considering trying one either on the GPR or my TC Hawken.

I feel The Davis trigger is a significant improvement over the factory trigger for the GPR. Mine dropped right in with no work required. I can recommend it highly. I have a couple of T-C Hawkens and I don't think they need replacement triggers. The factory triggers are OK in my opinion. I suggest you try a Davis trigger in the GPR. It will improve your GPR and will allow you to decide if you wish to change your T-C triggers.

A few questions for no one in particular about the GPR: First, are the kits difficult to build or are they basically ready to fit and finish?
Second, any recommendations as to where to get either kit or finished rifle?
Third, the locks. Is the flint lock reliable or a source of frustration; how do they compare with quality American made locks? I really don't like the idea of going to more expense to replace one.
Fourth, What are the general thoughts on the GPR round ball rifle. I prefer a .54 and have always thought they looked very attractive. The ones built/modified and posted on the forum always look fantastic.
1. Kits are fully inletted. Some shaping of the stock and final finishing of the stock is required. All metal except the lock needs finishing.
2. Try Midsouth Shooter's Supply.
3. Mine is percussion. I can't help with flintlock info.
4. My .54 is a round ball rifle. It's accurate and powerful. For various reasons I have yet to harvest a deer with this rifle, but I have taken seven with a .50 cal round ball rifle. All were one shot kills. Only one, which was shot completely through the chest cavity and for reasons I cannot explain as it was a good solid hit, ran more than a few yards. The round ball is my bullet of choice and the only projectile I will use in my BP rifles.

Well now, hang on there a minute Fuzzy.It's all well and good to have a fine looking rifle like that and all - but does it shoot?

I think you owe us a range report too!

I am going to make the front sight a little thinner then I will take it out for a range session. The sights are OK for hunting up to about 75 yds but I am going to try to refine them for a little more precision. As much precision as I can get from my soon to be 61 year old fuzzy vision anyway. :idunno:

Since someone mentioned it, don’t change you lock to a leaf spring version if you think they are an improvement. They are not. They are different and you may like one but it isn’t better.

Back