• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Griswold and Gunnison Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the full-length version of my Griswold and Gunnison revolver story. The G&G revolver was one of the guns that came out of the Confederate States attempts to jump-start a homegrown arms program during the Civil War. The Griswold was essentially a copy of the Colt 1851 Navy revolver, though it had some important differences like a brass frame and a Dragoon-style barrel configuration.

For this video I created my own version of the Griswold. I started with a .44 caliber, brass-framed Colt 1851 Navy replica, and changed barrel assemblies. Then I made it so it could be easily converted to look like the pseudo-Griswold that Cullen Bohannon's character carried during the first season of the television series, "Hell on Wheels".

Sure is pretty. I'd like to have one.

Sure is pretty. I'd like to have one.

Here you go: if you are looking for a .44 version, take a look at this one. It is a straight purchase rather than an auction item. It is advertised as a Traditions; it is a Pietta (look at the barrel marking in the first photo) datecode CM/2014, that being the last year of the "Large Tail" gripframe manufacture. To me, it looks like a NIB revolver: screw slots/cylinder stop slots/no cylinder turn ring. The walnut wood is very nice, as opposed to the straight-grained quarter-sawn wood usually found for that date. Zero damage that I can see. The cylinder is engraved (G&G's had plain cylinders). $261 plus shipping is very reasonable, especially considering that there appears to be very little Italian production of revolvers these days due to the pandemic.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880079390
As a comparison insofar as the gripframe assembly shape, this is my Pietta 1851 Navy CM/2014 Second Model .36 Belt Dragoon (fantasy parts gun) with the part round/part octagon barrel and smooth/plain cylinder and a squareback trigger guard. The wood is European hardwood, not walnut.

Pietta Navy Dragoon .36.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim

Back