• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my groups are getting worse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike van

Pilgrim
Reaction score
but so are my eyes. i have seen some guys witha
small disc with a tiny hole covering one eye.
do these work for focusing on all 3 things?
where can i get some for good price .
thanks
mike
ihave bifocals and soon maybe tri focals

put a pin hole in electrical tape and place that on your glasses... works just a well according to Dad.

I think you are referring to the Merit Optical Device. Lyman used to(and might still) make a similar but more simple device at a somewhat lower price.
Any of them basically creates a peep sight right on your shooting glasses.

I have bad eyes and I use the Merit device sometimes. It works pretty well and increasing your depth of field, but you will never be able to focus on rear sight, front sight and target at the same time anyway. Focus on the front sight and let everything else go blurry. Finding a device that lets you focus effectively on the front sight is what helps and the Merit works for a lot of folks. I tested the concept with a piece of tape with a hole in it like Roy suggested. Try it out and if that works for you, it's probably worth investing further.

I have a Merit Optical Device. Don't like it. By the time I get it to where I can focus it is so dark I can't see thru it. I do just as well with a piece of tape with a hole in it & you can buy allot of tape for what the Merit cost. :wink:

I did some really good groups with a Lyman peep sights. I also made a tang sight from some millitary sights & opened the aperture some & those worked well. But my days of good groups with open sights are over.

Something else that helps is to come up with some large square sights. A front blade of .100+ & a rear notch that at least 2 front blades fit in as you sight the gun are worth a try.

Paul

A lot of the top competitive shooters use the Merit Optical Device.

At this point I have mixed emotions on it.

Unless it is "perfectly" placed on my glassess,I find myself moving my head around to see the target, then having to move the pistol around to get the sights and target lined up. My wife says I move my head and body around a lot more when using it, than when I do not use it.

I tend to find it as a distraction when shooting pistol and my scores are lower when using it.

I would follow the suggestions and try the hole in the electrical tape to see how you like the concept before spending the $60 or so.

Just my thoughts.

RDE

A friend gifted me with one of the Merit disks and it does help, but as others have said, it is a bit of a PITA to get it positioned just right, get the aperture adjusted to the right size and then to keep it there. The suction cup also blocks out a lot of the view, tends to fall off, and leaves a big smear on your glasses. The bit of tape works better with less trouble once you get it properly placed.

I was REAL tempted to post that you should get a scope just to see how much I could stir up with that comment, but decided against it. The tape idea is a good one! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back