• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My gun shot a buck!.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jernestc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
But it was my 'loaner' and I wasn't carrying it. A few of us were hunting close to home here and had over 30 deer moving including 2 good bucks and about 5 smaller ones. My cousins each missed a shot and then a big group came running up to our 15 yr. old friend. He made a good 40? yd shot straight through the chest of a nice 7 pt. about 16" wide.(sorry, no pics) He had my TC Renegade and a .530 ball with .015 patch in front of 80 gr. of Swiss 2F. The deer went about 300 yds before it dropped. This is his second year hunting, 2nd deer, first buck, first shot ever fired with a flintlock. What are the odds of that happening?
I'm hoping to go back tomorrow and see if I can help thin the doe herd a little.

Mtn. Rifle

sounds like a great hunt. Keep young American in the fields. It's a much better place then the streets.

Lived in PA. two years My oldest son shot his first flint lock Deer. And 20 minutes later I shot my first flint lock deer. That is a hunt that set in our memories for good.

We would move back to PA. but that no hunting on Sunday is a real downer to a hunting family When the week end is the only time together.

You say a chest shot. Was it a lung shot?

I have the same gun that I plan to hunt next season. I'm a little disappointed that the deer would run 300 yds with a 40 yd shot. Was it a good shot?

Congrats for his kill.

Good harvest, I applaud you on your tracking skills to go for 300 yards. So many just give up when the deer doesn't just go down as evidenced by a dead deer I found last week. My Neighbor made a good hit on a buck with a bow about that size and it ran over 3/4 of a mile with the blood trail that was easily followed the whole way. Thank God for the snow. I double lunged and nicked the heart on a big buck a few years ago it ran about 150 yards though some of that was down hill. Then there is some that are hit marginally you figure will run forever and just seem to fall down.

:thumbsup: Congradulations to the young un.fine way to start his adventures in the world of BP hunting.300 yds does seem like a long way for a double lunger.The snow had to make for an east tracking job.Griz

I shot a big doe a few years ago on a wheat field. She turned around and ran 125 yards (rangefinder) to the nearest fence, jumped over it, turned 90 degrees, and then ran for another 100 to 150 yards before piling up. She was hit just abaft the heart through both lungs! :shocked2: Sometimes they don't know they are dead, I guess!

I have never had a whitetail run for more than a 100 yards with a double lung hit from a .50 or .54. I have found that far more drop on the spot when shot with my .54, just lucky I guess.

I was surprised that it had gone so far when I saw where the holes were when we got to the deer. I didn't help gut or skin but the butcher said the ball went through the shoulder muscles just behind the bones right below the shoulder blades. It was nearly perfectly broadside so I think that should mean it was a double lung shot.
We had 100% snow cover but the steady blood trail would have been fairly easy to track anywhere.
Mtn. Rifle

In this case the butcher is a man from our church who doesn't have a regular full time job. If I took a deer and said I'd like his help but couldn't pay he'd process it for me anyway. Normally though when he does everything from skinning to wrapping and freezing he suggests $55. That's what he asked for doing my 100+ lb. bear but I gave him $60 and felt cheap. I usually just take meat to be ground while he has the grinder working and just pay a token amount.
Mtn. Rifle

Latest posts

Back