• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My little oak ridge is still golden !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Gorgeous weather for my ML opening morning and my little oak ridge is still golden !

Not only are there still acorns on the ground, but there are even a few still falling here and there.
My walk in route had a faint breeze in my face but knowing the fickle wind there was supposed to swap ends at 9:00am, I hunted from the ladder stand I also have there for that reason.

Had a lot of activity but passed on everything”¦Doe & 2 fawns wandered through early”¦Doe & button buck 45 minutes later...an hour later a spike came from one direction, a cow horn from the opposite direction, and at 40-50 yards right in front of me they gently pushed foreheads for a minute or two, then went on about their business.

At 10:30 I saw movement through the trees a long ways off, maybe 65-75 yards and it was a big bodied / big racked buck...he was constantly stepping / pausing / stepping and with so many trees between us I never could get a clear kill shot and didn’t push it, might see him during the coming week.

11:30 a Doe and a fawn wandered through”¦called it a day and snuck out quietly at noon.

It's great to have all that activity! I bet it really gets you excited for the next day. :thumbsup:

A term used to describe a buck that has the main beams of his antlers developed, and they come out and curve around (like a cow's horns) but no vertical tines...usually see that on a younger / 2 year old type deer.

A spike of course is basically like a billy goat...a couple of straight up looking "spikes"...typically a first year buck

Well, I guess I almost saw a cowhorn this morning. This buck came within 30 yards and each of his tines were less than 1 in. each.

sounds like a wonderful morning! anyday hunting when you can say you saw game is a great day! the kill is all secondary anyway.

luie b said:
Well, I guess I almost saw a cowhorn this morning. This buck came within 30 yards and each of his tines were less than 1 in. each.
That would be a 'button buck' Luie :wink:

Back