• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Matchlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work Raptor. You did a real good job just from what you got off of Google. The stock carving and finish is perfect. Hollywood and Pinewood studios should have you under contract. :thumbsup:

That YouTube video was extremely motivating. My wife also liked the background music. Compliments to you from both of us. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm hoping to record some better video with both of the Matchlocks pretty soon and now I have a big silicon brick called an XBox 360 that will likely serve as a target. Just have to wait for the wind to quit whipping and the rain to stop falling.
Gotta love those things, they burn up and become entirely useless, then Microsoft wants an arm and a leg to get it fixed.
I'd rather spend the money on a nice chunk of walnut or a new barrel. :grin:

I'm not sure how I missed your post until now, but I'm glad I finally noticed it. Really nice work on both of them. Looking forward to seeing more from you. :hatsoff:

(Also, just because you just got into blackpowder doesn't mean you don't have anything to say, as is evidenced by the quality of these guns. Feel free to post more often! :thumbsup: )

Hopefully I'll have more to post soon. I plan on making a Tanegashima next and I'll document the build and post video on Youtube instead of just a slide show of progress pictures.

I drew this up for fun, it's a big picture so be warned.

I got a bunch of old stock blanks recently from my Grandfather's basement, he was big on tinkering with guns as well. Hopefully this will fit on one of the blanks.
Most of the blanks are for centerfire rifles and shotgun shoulder stocks, but I think I can get away with making some small Arqubus Matchlocks with the rifle blanks and pistols with the shotgun blanks.

Funny story with the big Matchlock. Yesterday I built a steel gong and we went out to do some shooting. The other two guys I was with were both using Ruger 10/22s (I honestly tried to get them to give my Matchlock a chance but they wouldn't have any of it).

It sounded like "PingPingPing POOOONG" and I discovered that I needed to reinforce the gong's supports.
It didn't break it and my welds held but the half inch steel plate is now significantly dented and the hooks I made for it aren't much better. This was with only 150 grains of FF, which I've found is a much much more manageable load though it doesn't offer the impressive boom that 240 grains does.

RR_Raptor65 said:
Speaking of recovering the lead, I think I'll have to make a target capable of capturing the shots fired from that thing. It's easy to fire lots of lead very quickly with that beast.

I'm not sure how much you'd need to capture those big lead balls, but I've found stumps or large cut billets of Oak to stop rounds from handguns and rifles fairly well... as long as you replace them before your lead starts leaking out. When you're ready to replace them, just split them like firewood to dig your lead out.

Low-tech, but it works.

Young man you are one of the exceptions to the saying "youth is wasted on the young." Another shining example that there is life in our way of life! Thank you!

CP

dear sir
i would like to have your plans for the match lock rifles
thank you
richard westerfield

Back