• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my most memorable shot ever!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott,
i believe that is exactly what i did as i had changed loads not long ago and filed the sights a little bit lower. i believe i held where i was always use to. i will be replacing the sights over the winter and staying with one load.
Brian,
good to here from ya buddy!!!

I agree that there is no substitute for knowing your rifle. I hunted with my new rifle this year and took 2 nice big does, but I also missed 2 shots that would have been made with my old rifle. I too will know my rifle better next year.

Never say never.
I'll sign on to the idea that head shots are usually not the best choice, especially from the front or side. Nothing more upsetting than the thought of shooting a deer's jaw off. Twice in my life, when confronted with a head shot being the only shot, I passed on it.
Once, I was standing, having just hiked up a slope and there he stood, a nice 6, staring down at me. A broken off tree stump obscured all but his face, antlers and a little bit of the white patch on his throat. Only about 40 yards and I had a scoped '06 but with my heart pumping from the climb, I just couldn't hold it still enough to justify the shot. When I put the rifle down, he left in one hell of a hurry like he knew what had just happened.
Another time, I had 2 does broadside, the rear one's head blocked a heart/lung or neck shot on the other doe and a large rock blocked her vitals. All I had were head shots on both deer. This time I was carrying a flinter and I tried to spook 'em slightly with a whistle but they took off in one bound over the hill. No shots fired that day either.
Then about 5 years ago, last day of the flint season and there's almost a foot of fresh powder on the ground from the night before. Walking through the woods was as quiet as I have ever experienced. As I worked my way up a slope in knee deep snow, I stopped for a rest and sat next to a large boulder. While I sat, a big doe came down the hill, I never heard her until she came into my peripheral vision. She turned and bedded less than 10 yards from me, with her back to me. Now it's the last day and I wanted that venison pretty bad but I don't take head shots. I sat quietly hoping she would stand up again but she didn't. My Daddy taught me to learn from my mistakes so I didn't want to try the spook'em method again. Seems like all day went by in only about 10 minutes when I realized that I'd never get the rifle up on the boulder and the hammer back without spooking her anyway.
Well I did, I got a good rest on my arm on the boulder and I got the hammer back without a sound and she was still sitting. I still had no shot except the back of her head and I figured it'd be pretty hard to shoot her jaw off from behind her. Well I talked myself into it. I put my sights right on the back of her head where I figured I blow her brains out and she'd never even know what happened. I smoothly squeezed the trigger and the rifle went off as quick as you could hope for. That doe went off like a rocket down the slope and she was out of sight long before I figured out what just happened. My rifle was sighted for dead on at 100 yards - about 3" high at 50 yards. I had just put a .50 cal ball right over the top of her head between her 2 ears. I triple checked but no hair and no blood in the fresh powder confirmed that she had just earned the right to live another year.
Point is, sometimes a head shot is the only shot you get and you have to decide based on what's inside of you and how much you practice and your abilities. Under the right circumstances, who's to say that your heart/lung shot is more ethical than another man's head shot. I've seen some guys throw some pretty unethical heart/lung shots (to me) at running deer or deer out 100 yards or more. A lot of these same guys don't even know where the closest practice range is.
Ken knows what he can do - don't preach at him.

Finnwolf

Finnwolf said:
Ken knows what he can do - don't preach at him.

Finnwolf

I don't think I preached at him at all. I merely stated my opinion. That's what we do here.
I admire how confident he is with his rifle. My point is things go wrong and it was proven in this thread.
I'm not hungry enough to risk head shots. If I need meat I'll eat cow.

HD

Not to be disagreeing but you said "no head shots" and you posted a smilie that was shaking his finger side to side - symbol for no-no. :nono: Where I come from, that would be taken for preaching.
An opinion would be "I wouldn't do that" not "you shouldn't do that". I respect your decision not to take head shots and his decision to take them under the right conditions. Lot of guys still feel the neck shot is the best but there's no vitals there at all. To me, head shot is ethical depending on the situation and whose hands the rifle is in.

For me, I've only taken 1 head shot in my life and it came out a clean miss. I count myself lucky that it wasn't a disaster. With any luck at all, I'll never take another one.

Finnwolf

No head shots for me. I had a hang fire on a nice buck that was facing me at 15 yards a couple years ago. Between the click and boom he took a quick step to the side, missed him.

I have a really quick flintlock now, was using a TC in the above story, but still get a slight delay every now and then. Alabama deer stay wired and are guaranteed to get a quick flinch in between the time the flint hits the frizzen and the ball is on it's way.

I have a single set trigger on my gun and have found you can't cock the lock when an Alabama deer is within range and still have a deer hanging around to shoot at. I sit with my lock primed, cocked without setting the trigger, toothpick in the touchhole and frizzen flipped up. The slight tink of setting the trigger will almost always stop a deer for the shot. Needless to say I don't hunt in the rain.

I feel your pain man! I missed a coyote this year on the ground with a bow at 5 yards. I stood there with my mouth hanging open just like you. I later found the allen screw had come loose and the sights had dropped 1/2", which caused me to shoot way high.

Hang in there!
Wess

Ken,

If you want to hunt the PA late flintlock season with me between Christmas and New Years I'd love to have you. You can buy a regular pa license and a m/l stamp and use the tag with the license in any county of PA for buck or doe. I have some spots :thumbsup:

PS...you can take head shots on the PA whitetails with me anytime. I know from knowing you that you are an ethical and deadly muzzleloader hunter :v .

Mike,
i would really love to take you up on that however driving the brown truck makes it impossible this time of year! remember, save one of the leg bones from your bow killed fox for me if ya can!
Thanks for all the replies to this thread. i like hearing others thoughts both pro and con.

adkmountainken said:
how many take head shots on small game? this seems to be excepted. is the life of a rabbit less then that of a deer and there fore this is excepted?
Apples and oranges. Head shot on a rabbit or squirrel makes sense. Kill zone is about the same size as a body shot and then you really just wasted all the meat. Boiler room shot on a deer kill zone is many times larger than the head and no meat is wasted. Bit disingenuous asking that question.

Back