• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Musket came today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Kitty

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm so excited. My 1862 C.S. Richmond Musket came by UPS today. Fit and finish are great. It looks so much like the 1861 Springfield. The only difference I can see is the nose cap and but plate are brass. Of course its ben a while since Ive handled a Springfield. I may have missed a few other differences. It is .58 cal and same sights as the Springfield. The stock is real nice and lock and trigger are crisp with a stout spring. I checked the bore with a pen light,a bit dark and deep. I had a bad experience with a spider one time so I used caution. I took the ram rod out of its socket and checked the bore. Ting ting. Nothing in the bore. The ram rod has no bulge like the Springfield ,its straight down to the bulb at the tip. I swabbed the bore out and dried it. Then oiled it up real nice. The bore is nice and shiny with no rust or pits that I can see.
I'm real happy with it so far and look forward to my first day out back with it."I have a 125 yard range out back"

I will keep y'all updated on how she dose.
Boy O boy am I hooked on blackpowder.

Thanks guys for all the help.

. may 3 / 13:50

sounds like you've found your heart's content, but you know the rules:

YOUFORGOT.jpg

the 1800's period is also my favorite era of bp so i went with a jp murray artillary carbine.. there's just something about all that shiny brass...

don't forget to let us know how you do first time out.

~d~

Congrats! Love that feeling when new toys get delivered. Let us know how it shoots, and of course pics.

Congrats, It sounds like you know your way around a musket :thumbsup: Looking forward to the range report.Good Luck & Good Shootin'

A 125 yard range out back??? I am jealous!

I myself am waiting for the brown truck -- my Navy Sheriff revolver from Cabela's is due to arrive today...

I have an Armi-Sport Richmond from Dixie too. I doubt they are selling many Euroarms Richmonds at $1,050. The trigger is incredibly heavy and it seems like the nipple is somewhat plugged up. CCI caps didn't work the first try, but all attempts using RWS caps worked. The stock is really nice, and I do like the brass and other Confederate flair.

Missouri Brigade, You got me to thinking. I took the nipple out and low and behold the vent hole in the nipple was not completely open. Malformed or undrilled all the way. So what I did was to get the smallest drill bit I could find and finish the hole. I could hardly see daylight in it before now i can pass just the head of a toothpick through it little bit bigger than a pin or the same size as a nipple pick. As for my trigger pull? Mine is bout the same as my Exes Springfield.

The lock should be "Humpbacked". That is, it should be wider in the area between the hammer and the bolster. The Richmond was originally built using existing parts and the machinery retrieved from the Harpers Ferry Armory for the M1855 rifle-musket. The '55 used the Maynard tape primer and the plate was shaped to accept the mechanism. The earliest Richmonds had a "high hump" plate that was exactly like that on the '55 except that it was not milled for the primer. The muskets made at the Ferry before they removed the machinery was marked Harpres Ferry or not at all. The earliest high hump variants made in Richmond were marked "Richmond VA" with 1861 in the usual place, except that the dates were stamped sideways compared to Springfield arms. After the CS government took over control of the Richmond Armory, CS was added to the plate. Also, by early 1862, new dies were used for the plates and a new "low hump" plate made its appearance. This is the pattern used in the new reproductions.

Both the high hump and low hump plates were also used in the rifles made in Fayetteville, NC until about mid-1862 until 1865. By this time, a regular Springfield style plate like that on the M1861 was used. The machinery used in producing the Fayetteville rifle came from Harpers Ferry as well, being used to build the M1855 Rifle.

I'd say that probably most original Richmonds had iron buttplates though I have seen some with brass. And some early pieces made in Richmond before the Confederate government take-over have been found with a patchbox, identical to that found on the M1862 Remington "Zouave" rifle except that it is iron. There are several variations of this arm.

Latest posts

Back