• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new Chuck Burrows Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I`ve had my eye on this knife for a while and just struck a deal with Chuck for the whole rig,knife,sheath and belt..Heres a few pics and description of it

This is a custom built SW style trade knife and sheath - the entire package was made by , Chuck Burrows of Wild Rose Trading Co. This style knife and sheath can be documented as early as circa 1800 so would be appropriate for the 1807-1840's fur trade era or the later 1860-1880's Indian Wars period or any period in between.
Knife has a 7 3/4" hand made blade. The blade is thin like the originals and was converted to this style from a circa 1900 extra large Old Hickory blade. The grips are Osage Orange with a cast pewter bolster and a buffalo hide - all with an aged finish. OAL is 12 1/2".
The aged sheath, inspired by a couple of originals, is made of harness leather with a brain/smoke tan beaded cuff and fringe. Decoration includes period glass beads, brass tacks and beads, and tin cone tinklers. The sheath is built so that it can be worn in several positions including left or right hand crossdraw.

2549055200063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

2198528820063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

2919501150063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

I like everything about this. However I seriously doubt that any MM would travel around in hostile territory with tinklers on anything, and probably not much that flashed in the sunlight either. Not if he wanted to keep his hair, he didn't. For parties, and ceremonies, sure. But I suspect they used a different sheath for their knives in the field.

Damn nice setup! :thumbsup: Welldone on both accounts! :grin:

Davy

Just got this email from Chuck..

Howdy Rick - Thought you'd like to see the original sheath yours was based on...
Original Eastern Plains Knife case,ca 1800
Incised buffalo rawhide,native leather,porcuine quills and meatal cones..
2331746500063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

:thumbsup: You will have to bring that with next time you get over this way :thumbsup:

:shocked2: Rick, now that is jus gorgeous! ya dun real good! p-u-r-d-y! :thumbsup: love that blade! :thumbsup:

Very nice outfit, beautiful in fact. I like the way the store bought knife was turned into a custom knife. Great job and a great prize. The sheath is beautiful too. :thumbsup:

Dang that's a good looking setup. Thanks for posting pictures of it. I'm a sucker for knives anyway but something about this one really cathces an eye.

Nice rig for sure.

My point is, if you are going to use that knife and sheath for a period costume, save it for the parties, parades, and dances-. For a seneca run, or survival course, use a less flashy sheath, and one where you won't lose any of those beads, or bells to bramble bushes along the way.

I speak from personal experience on this point. That sheath and knife are just too nice to chance damaging or losing either, IMHO. :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: That is one nice setup ya got there. Be careful, don't cut yourself.
Dusty :wink:

Congratulations Rick, that's a great set. :thumbsup:

I'm privileged to own several of Chucks creations and I want to tell you that while they're gorgeous works of art they are made to "use".

Chuck is probably the most knowledgeable man I know on the fur trade and the knives and hawks of that period. While there are others that also have the knowledge, they do not have the talent that Chuck has to recreate such masterpieces.

Latest posts

Back