• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Idea Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi :)

I have an idea for a project I’d like done to my northwest trade gun. I’ve got one with a 42” long barrel and I’d like the barrel cut back to about 33” to make it handier. The gun has a blade front sight that I’d like to keep the same style of, but I am also wanting a simple low profile rear sight installed, something historically accurate.

Additionally, it’s got an L&R trade gun flint lock. I’d like it converted to percussion. Here is the gun:

9F37FC08-AB71-4D1A-90A0-FB3441481343.jpeg

I’d like to send it to a qualified gunsmith for the work. I can shorten the ramrod myself but would need it converted to percussion and the barrel shortened, front sight reinstalled, and a simple rear sight installed.

About how much would a fair price be for this work? Thanks!

To shorten the barrel I first marked mine with a plumbing pipe cutter. I followed that line with a hack saw. Then checked the squareness of the cut with a 3" machinists square. For soldering parts I use Brownell's Hi-Force 44. It only needs a propane torch. I like working with wood, much easier to cover up mistakes!

I have an idea for a project I’d like done to my northwest trade gun. I’ve got one with a 42” long barrel and I’d like the barrel cut back to about 33” to make it handier. The gun has a blade front sight that I’d like to keep the same style of, but I am also wanting a simple low profile rear sight installed, something historically accurate.

Additionally, it’s got an L&R trade gun flint lock. I’d like it converted to percussion. Here is the gun:

View attachment 332092

I’d like to send it to a qualified gunsmith for the work. I can shorten the ramrod myself but would need it converted to percussion and the barrel shortened, front sight reinstalled, and a simple rear sight installed.

Shortened to 32” would be fairly easy to do with the exception of probably having to add an upper ramrod pipe and reshape the forward tip. I too like a lil bit shorter and handier rig. Prolly take a craftsman a day to complete.

Sights added would help steer round ball a bit better. They wouldn’t be too expensive for a fella who has metal skills and tools. Another best part of a day. ( most guys that work on firearms work slow and carefully and listen to their podcasts)

Converting to percussion might be reconsidered. Caps are tough to get and flint trade guns are way cooler. ( imho) To my way of thinking, ifn I was going to do such a project, I would research how often they removed the pan and reconfigured the cock to percussion. I would guess it would have been done often. Be a fun hunt for the history of said conversion.

All said, I’d expect something along the lines of prolly 6 or 7 hundred dollars. Plus shipping. ( which wouldn’t be cheap either, but these one of a kind ideas always are.

View attachment 332092

Shortened to 32” would be fairly easy to do with the exception of probably having to add an upper ramrod pipe and reshape the forward tip. I too like a lil bit shorter and handier rig. Prolly take a craftsman a day to complete.

Sights added would help steer round ball a bit better. They wouldn’t be too expensive for a fella who has metal skills and tools. Another best part of a day. ( most guys that work on firearms work slow and carefully and listen to their podcasts)

Converting to percussion might be reconsidered. Caps are tough to get and flint trade guns are way cooler. ( imho)

If you did want it percussion, I would want to know if it was common to remove the pan from the lock plate and convert the cock to percussion. I’m pretty sure resourceful fellows in scant country would have done said re configuration.

I’m guessing remodeling your rifle to your liking would be 6 or 7 hundred bucks. These rifles that are made just to our liking are always a lil pricey, but once a guy is on the hunt for one, a guy has to man up and push forward. Good luck, bud. Let us know how your project goes if it bares fruit.

Converting to percussion might be reconsidered. Caps are tough to get and flint trade guns are way cooler. ( imho)

If you did want it percussion, I would want to know if it was common to remove the pan from the lock plate and convert the cock to percussion. I’m pretty sure resourceful fellows in scant country would have done said re configuration.

I’m guessing remodeling your rifle to your liking would be 6 or 7 hundred bucks. These rifles that are made just to our liking are always a lil pricey, but once a guy is on the hunt for one, a guy has to man up and push forward. Good luck, bud. Let us know how your project goes if it bares fruit.
I gotta learn way more about posting replies. I thought I lost the first one and re wrote the reply. No sense being an idiot with these puters if you don’t get a chance to show off once in a while!

View attachment 332092

Smokey

Can't help you on price, there are too many variables with your need and also varibles in who charges what.
I really think you would be better to have one made to your specks. It would be more $$ in the end, but you would not ruin a fine gun and the end result would look like a custom gun, not a try to make it like I want it gun. You have cash right there in the one you want to modify.
Good Luck
Larry

Back