• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my "new" flintlock - "Fiddian"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam.after my previous post I googled "FIDDIAN" and found several references some from British arms forums, nothing on Fiddian as gunsmith and didn't go too far but one mention of Fiddian name as connected with an occupation possibly allied {my guess} with lock manufacture.I suggest further googling of this name but I still think this name is connected with lock making probably located in Birmingham,England,a very likely possibility. :hmm:
Tom Patton

With regard to steel wool use, I once again note that people doing varnishing on boat brightwork use a product called bronzewool, as the use of steelwool in a salt marine environment leads to tiny rust spots appearing from the residue of steel wool, which is not discernable at time of use, but appears later. good smoke, Ron in FL

Super nice gun. Thanks for sharing.
Summer break will be here before you know it. I teach 6th grade and got out 2 weeks ago this Friday. Now its fishing , shooting, making stuff for black powder shooting, hanging out, and reading stuff on here.

Thanks for the reality check - although I can't believe how bad four or five (or six) of my students have been all year, and we rapidly approach summer break - a truly undisciplined bunch. I have to admit, I was due for a year of "The Dirty Dozen" after I looped with my last Super Group......

A few more images to look at.

- Adam
left side view
left sideplate close-in
detail left side
more nosecap detail
trigger guard detail 2
full view 2

T.O. said:
Super nice gun. Thanks for sharing.
Summer break will be here before you know it. I teach 6th grade and got out 2 weeks ago this Friday. Now its fishing , shooting, making stuff for black powder shooting, hanging out, and reading stuff on here.

Very nice. Its a conventional militia musket/fowler, ca. 1795-1825. It looks to be assembled from English parts but its always been in the configuration you see it. The name on the lockplate is either the lock maker (in Birmingham) or an American Hardware dealer. The locks were supplied finish hardened so the names had to be put on them before they were delivered.

It certainly looks like a conventional NE musket but the features we use for that attribution are really English so whether they are exclusive to NE guns or many more NE guns have survived remains a question. I think you did very well, especially for a local gun show. I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

CoyoteJoe said:
Just guessing from the photo but is the nose cap sheet copper?

Joe, yes I believe it is - either copper or some similar alloy - and probably not brass. The thimbles appear to be brass, as does the buttplate and trigger guard.
Once a knowledgable fellow takes a close look at my musket, I will share what he has to say about it.
Thanks for your interest!
By the way, the stock is an interesting affair. It is not one piece, but three - between the thimble closest to the trigger guard and about 6" from the muzzle, is a spliced-in section. The third section - from about 6" in to the muzzle. It was very well done, and adds some interest to this old gun.

Adam

Back