• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

69 Cal.
Reaction score
000_1102.jpg

58 caliber, 36" Green River Barrel, Davis Lock, Davis Triggers, TOW Kit Carson Hawken parts, brand new and unfired.

Total investment for everything in the picture was $686.00

Sweet looking set-up. Where did you get everything from? I'm new with muzzleloaders and am looking for ideas.

Early 19th c style pouch and buffalo horn from eBay total cost for both was $121.00 (I believe), knife from trader at an event yesterday cost $65.00, tomahawk in exchange for refinishing a gun for friend, Hawken from the Historical Trekking Message Board Round Robin cost $500.00.

The tomahawk is forged from an old gun barrel and the knife from an old file.

I hope my math is right. :winking:

Now THAT is a gun made for an ole timer if I ever saw one.
Notice the location of the rear sight.

Swampman, you've got to get out and burn some powder! :) Let us know how it shoots. :)

:bow: now that is a real nice piece! Ive been dreaming of a Hawken for years, and seeing yours is not helping me or my wallet :rotf:

That is a beautiful rifle! I love the wood and the lock. Are there sources for poor schmoes like me to obtain things like this, or do you have to know someone in the inner circles of muzzleloaderhood?

Really, I'm jealous.

Track of the Wolf sells a kit for this very rifle. Hawkens are supposed to be pretty tough to build. That's why I skipped the building part.

"Now THAT is a gun made for an ole timer if I ever saw one."
Yep. iffen that sight was much more forward it would be the front sight :rotf: Definately an ole man's gun Bill (I'm jeolous, yer one lucky stiff with that outfit}

There is a very nice TOW Hawken for sale at Best Shot in Arnold MO. 600$ Barrel is in the white and the stock was left blonde. I would have figured a way to get it by now but I want a smoothbore flinter next.

Swampman I didnt ck your math but for the rest you done really good, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go that way too for a pre 40s. Fred :hatsoff:

Nice looking rifle and kit, Swampman. Nice piece of wood too. Just a note, I would run the keys through the other way. That's how the originals were set up. :thumbsup: I think you'll like the .58 caliber.
Don

That is one fine looking rifle. It would make a person proud to own and shoot such a wonderful firearm.. congratulations on a beautiful rifle.

Back