• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my latest pistol.
It's a 10" round barreled smooth bore. In 50 cal..
small siler, early brass furniture. The side plate is one I cut down off a rifle. I like the style and I am going to see if can have it made commercially.High silver front sight.
I cut the front wood down to expose more of the barrel in the front. It also just has a vent hole.. no liner, the flat that locks the lock bolster to the barrel is hand filed :thumbsup: fits like a glove.

50smoothbore49002.jpg

50smoothbore49003.jpg

50smoothbore49004.jpg

50smoothbore49001.jpg

looks great,does the lack of liner slow the ignition noticeably? Really a very nice job thanks for sharing your hard work with us.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I test fired it this weekend..well shot the heck out of it is a better description.
Got great ignition. Pretty much instantaneous.
I put the vent hole high and centered on the pan.
The bore is exactly .50 which is a little problematic for me. My round ball is all .490 or .495. which meanS... I can't patch it. need to find a .480 or so ball mold so I can use a patch.
They aren't like rifled bores that have the extra grove that soaks up some patch.

Thank you.
It's very light.. a couple of pounds I guess..
It could have been more fancy and refined.. looked at adding lock plate moldings, tang carving, and a few brass inlays.
But decided on a simple, clean, work mans gun..
Did sign the top in "fancy scroll letters" :grin:
I have never been the type to brag about my work. This is my "best pistol yet" the inletting is sharp, crisp and clean :thumbsup: IT'S ABOUT TIME :redface:
The round barrel needs to be more tapered and It's still it's too FAT.
The web between the the barrel and the barrel channel is one of the problems 'the key'. The other is I blinked about removing more wood around the tang, lock region.
The next "kit" parts kit I order.. will make sure I tell them the WEB needs to be 1/8".. 5/32" at the most..
Should have filed it down.. Oh well the more you build the better you get.
It's still SO MUCH FUN TO SHOOT.
SMOOTH BORES RULE

Back