• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new Rev War militia musket (pics)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youngblood

40 Cal
Reaction score
A few months ago i saw a Tulle .69 kit on gunbroker by AzMuzzleloaders, a member here, so i pm’d him here and i bought it. Thank you AZ 👍🏻

I had it shipped straight to ColonialRifleSmith, another member here and the wait was on. He can be reached at
[email protected]

I been trying to get a gun like this for a while. A .69 is very hard to find except for the commercial muskets. Crazy hard.
Asked several builders both here and people with fancy websites. I got No or too busy from all of them. From ColonialRifleSmith it was Yes. All my custom requests were Yes. Thank you.

I wanted it to be a custom kind of conversion from hunting/private gun to militia ready for Rev War. Thats what i was going for. I saw an original almost just like it.

I had added to it, sling swivels, a rear sight, a bayonet lug and bayonet, a metal rammer, and a hooked breech with keys. The stock is Maple, just plain with no curls.

Heres a few pics. First the kit, then the original i liked, then mine.

DEA23661-3400-4888-B1D5-6D58FDD50F8B.png

4B9AA275-8B4B-46D7-9091-9749ECC8CA95.png

A8D0BAAF-FF58-491C-AB95-A68F9E65A7F7.png
8757E3D8-F62B-4933-BEEC-AA94704E3274.png

Last edited:
I think of it as a Militia Musket made up by a local gunsmith to join the Rev War. But i guess it could be a Ranger Musket or Officers fusil (French?) or something my dad took off a dead Frenchman in the last war?
What do you guys think?

Im not sure what either of you guys are getting at here. Its not supposed to be a perfect Tulle copy, it started as one then had custom features added to it.
And hooked (or standing) breech was a thing at the time of the Rev War.
Maybe you guys are just telling me you dont like it? Thats fine too.

Im not sure what either of you guys are getting at here. Its not supposed to be a perfect Tulle copy, it started as one then had custom features added to it.
And hooked (or standing) breech was a thing at the time of the Rev War.
Maybe you guys are just telling me you dont like it? Thats fine too.
What does a hooked breech have to do with anything. No one mentioned that. It’s a poor copy of a Tulle, that you are trying to pass as a militia musket by calling in local made.

It’s cool that you got the custom gun you want. You added features that “existed” but were not known on militia muskets in general, or composite fowlers either. No need to try to force historical accuracy on the final product. You’ve got a great looking gun with the features you want. Enjoy it!

Not to you specifically, but to the broader audience, “existed” is not equivalent to historical accuracy in re-enactment, where the typical and common are the best choices. For example, if I wanted to portray dairy farm life of the 1950s I’d not choose a Bentley or Rolls Royce or a Japanese car or a German car or a Cadillac or Thunderbird or Lincoln for the family vehicle. They all “existed” at that time.

Clark Badgett,
Nobody ever said it was a correct perfect copy of a Tulle either. Im not passing it off as anything.
Its not a nit picky stitch counters gun obviously.

I got what i wanted and i posted here to show everybody. Thats all.
Its my vision of a personal hunting gun with custom features added to make it militia/war ready. I dont care if there was a bunch just like it back then or none.

I wanted it to be a custom kind of conversion from hunting/private gun to militia ready for Rev War. Thats what i was going for. I saw an original almost just like it.

Beauty. I wonder how many people did this sort of thing. Back then, you couldn't really just go down to the corner store and buy whatever you wanted. And even if you could, not everyone could afford to buy what ever they wanted. So you took what you had and made what you wanted.

Back