• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new smoothbore was a slobbered up mess after it's first day at the range!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people use a cerial filler in between powder and ball (Cream of Wheat or similar) and claim it helps to reduce fouling. You'd use it in place of lube. Probably over a card, though I don't remember specifically. I've used that method in a smoothbore pistol and also in cap 'n ball revolvers and I think it does work. Haven't had a chance to try in a long arm.

No offense. But I’d like to start an old argument.
Swab between shots or every other shot.

I swab between each one. You might think it’s work but I can shoot all day.
Oh I get the statement. I’m there to shoot not
to clean.
Swabbing is not cleaning but is just as important as shooting. It’s all part of the process

I follow VM Starr' advice really closely as to shooting smoothbores. So I spit down the bores after the over powder cards. Which btw are 2 over shot cards. You only have to carry one type is card this way. I've never had it foul bad enough to stop shooting.
Shooting trap is another thing....I can't get away with it. I use dry clothe patches when needed.
He k of a spit ball.
1715012900781.png

Never had problems with fouling using paper cartridges lubed on the ball end with Lehigh Valley Lube, which is no more. I understand that Mr. Flintlock is just as good.

Just send me the gun to shoot and i’ll keep it nice and clean!

I have a .62 Fowler and shoot prb’s lubed with spit with 2F Goex. When i reload it cleans the bore and can shoot all day without a mess. Only time it gets lil messy is high humidity and then i have black stuff everywhere lol! As to cleaning between shots is not needed and depending on humidity(low) you will push enough fowling down to the breech to build up and clog up you touch hole after about 10ish shots. Now you have to get out the breech scraper and go to town. Thats why i stopped cleaning between shots.

Try using 3Fg. I use that in all 3 of my SXS 20 gauges. Swiss, Goex and OE. Leather OP Wads and Lubed Wool Felt wads, I do not have problems with fowling. I use bees wax and olive oil as lube and only wipe after about 7-8 shots just because it makes cleaning up at the end of the day easier.

Some interesting responses . Yeah , when I made my first fowler , a Carolina Gun back in early 90s , I was surprised by it " fouling / fowli g " up so bad , so quick , compared to the long rifle but its not a biggy now ...Ball gets a little rough to seat , lots of shots when at the range,I just run a couple patches down ,wet then couple dry , then get back to shootin , but the ts pretty quick and no biggy . In the rifle the fowling can fill up the rifling a little and that patched ball takes some out too so that smoothbore just fills up quicker with fouling . ...but thats after a bunch of shots . You get your routines down for loading , cleaning , quick range clean , etc . it ain't no biggy....goes quick .

Latest posts

Back