• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My TC Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Down East

32 Cal
Reaction score
Recently acquired this Pennsylvania Hunter. Told its close to 30 year old what from they guy I got it from. It's 1:66 twist ball and Patch perc. Got some Hornady 1:66 conicals to try out. Anybody have experience with these? Have yet to shoot it. Gave her a good cleaning and look over. We shall see.
IMG_1946.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    75.8 KB
That seems like a pretty slow twist for a conical. Usually at least a 1:48. Might want to try round balls first. Conicals usually like a faster twist than 1:66. Looks like a nice rifle in great shape! Good shooting!

I have no idea what 1: 66 conicals are but, the lighter weight of the two Lee R.E.A.L. Bullets have always done well for me in roundball twist guns.

He's referring to Hornady PA conical, a 240gr. ball-et type bullet made for slow twist barrels

The lighter of the two Lee bullets work the same way. They worked great in my Great Plains rifle.

My PA Hunter shoots Hornady PA conical with 80gr FFF substitute pretty good. Shoots PRB about the same with 50gr, have done little experimenting with PRB.

Okay, hadn't heard of those. I have a REAL mold that I had used and shot those bullets in my T/C Hawken that has a 1-48 twist. I had not used it in the PH. Learn something new everyday.

If you haven't already, pull the nipple and check the fire channel good. I use pipe cleaners like you can get in a smoke shop.
Some kind of light grease on the threads of the nipple before you reinstall it.
Double check to make sure it's not loaded.

Back