• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot the old Lyman 54 some yesterday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to the son-in-law's farm yesterday and shot about 25 rounds. Just shooting beer cans off hand. I have both .530 and .535 balls. I was just trying to decide if I could tell the difference loading them but I couldn't

I have never been able to load more than 2 without swabbing the boar so a while back I tried polishing the bore with fine scotch Brite as shown by Dualist 54 in his video. I did a hundred strokes with the red fine scotch Brite. I guess that wasn't enough cause I am still having to clean between shots

Forgot the picture

Attachments

• 20240927_152417.jpg
    20240927_152417.jpg
    2.8 MB
If you can’t load more then two your doing something wrong. What’s all the details of your load? I shoot an entire match without swabbing so it can be done.

Well I am somewhat to to this and have the same issues.

Seems to be a patch thickness to ball diameter thing vs actual bore size. Guess one could go with smaller dia. ball and a thinner patch material to get a .010" smaller ball/patch combo. The barrel's bore would be another thing to question?

Burrs/rough bore is a common problem in investarms guns. They are quite accurate but hard to load more than a couple of rounds without cleaning. Dulalist54 has documented this in his fix video. I used finer scotch Brite than he did and less strokes. Going to do a hundred more.

Last edited:
If you can’t load more then two your doing something wrong. What’s all the details of your load? I shoot an entire match without swabbing so it can be done.
Phil

I am loading 110 grs of Graff fffg , .535 and .530 balls , .015 pillow ticking patch, old CVA #11 CAPS ( THESE ARE CCI'S ). This load is very accurate in my gun .

Phil

I am loading 110 grs of Graff fffg , .535 and .530 balls , .015 pillow ticking patch, old CVA #11 CAPS ( THESE ARE CCI'S ). This load is very accurate in my gun .
That's an awfully heavy load, jb. No wonder you can't get more than 2 shots without swabbing your bore. I think I'd drop down to 100gr. FFg and try a wet lube, e.g., spit, "moose milk," etc. If wet patch lube isn't your preference, Google "Stumpy's Moose Snot," which is easy to concoct and is good for 8* shots before you'll need to swab the bore. Just some food for thought...

For plinking try 50gr powder and spit patch, i can shoot all day without cleaning. What do the shot patches look like?

Back