• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My thimble's screw wouldn't hold. i soldered it. how'd i do?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schuetzenisbestBP

.50 caliber
Reaction score
1696651389366745905914438079482.jpg
im not a very experienced solderer so in my opinion i think it's pretty good.

Attachments

• 16966514070278433753685794283215.jpg
    16966514070278433753685794283215.jpg
    942.7 KB · Views: 0
This solder job can be cleaned up with the use of a small wire wheel on a Dremel tool. I'm a hit and miss solderer as well. More of it you do , generally , the better the result. I've had to learn how to clean up my soldering jobs to make them look best for me. Dremel wire wheel gits er done.

It will hold but if you want the soldier not to show, mark out the space on the underlug for length and pre-tin the lug, clean and flux the pipe set in place, and heat. That way there will be very little solder showing.
I completely forgot Flux was a thing. maybe I'll do this, thank you!

Flat off the rib and thimble. Tin both with lead-tin solder. Clean the parts of the acid flux. Flux with rosin. Jig the thimble in place with a steel rod and wire. Heat both part to melt the solder. Let cool. It will look perfect.

Might be wrong , but last time I checked , Silver solder is just lead and tin mixed togather. The tin is supposd to make the lead solder stronger.

Might be wrong , but last time I checked , Silver solder is just lead and tin mixed togather. The tin is supposd to make the lead solder stronger.
Not quite. Lead-tin solder is, well, for soldering. However, "silver solder" usually refers to a silver brazing alloy and actually does contain silver (hence the price!) The only difference between soldering and brazing is the temperature range, so it gets confusing sometimes.

Actual silver soldering takes place at a much higher temperature than household solder and is much stronger.

The melting temperature of silver solder is around 1145 to 1650ºF (618 to 899ºC)1. The most common silver solders and their approximate melting points are2:
  • 33% silver / 1328°F
  • 40% silver / 1247°F
  • 55% / 1202°F

View attachment 258822im not a very experienced solderer so in my opinion i think it's pretty good.
Actual silver soldering takes place at a much higher temperature than household solder and is much stronger.

The melting temperature of silver solder is around 1145 to 1650ºF (618 to 899ºC)1. The most common silver solders and their approximate melting points are2:
  • 33% silver / 1328°F
  • 40% silver / 1247°F
  • 55% / 1202°F
I you can find it ,A Silver Solder containing Cadmium is much lower melting point than 55% at 1202F. The last places I found any were Italy and OLD Stock in RSA. The whole Rib looks as if it needs re-soldering.. O.D.

Last edited:
im not a very experienced solderer so in my opinion i think it's pretty good.

I wouldn’t solder that thimble to the rib, especially if was machined on with a screw. I would just get a new screw or retap the holes.

Soldering it will ruin the finish on the barrel, and will throw off the alightment of rammer with the rib and other thimbles.

If you absolutely have to solder it, you’ll want to sweat solder it in place. Clean rub the area with some 150 grit paper lightly, then clean with acetone. Apply small amounts of solder to the rib and solder the rib first without the thimble and then repeat with the thimble clamped down, tinning. And then clean again and clamp down the thimble with a pipe clamp and solder with a propane torch until you have moderate flow.

However, i would not solder the thimble.

If you insist on soldering.Pure Tin is a better option than Silver or Soft solder. Melt temp is between the other two methods and pure tin is about the same strength as silver solder. It was the medium used to put tubes together before modern furnace methods were invented.. O.D.

I always used 95% Tin-5% Antimony solder paste on thimbles to ribs. With proper prep, they stay secure, clean and look neat.

Attachments

• IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back