• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My trap and turkey gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Debated whether or not to post the pics of my latest and Last work.
However here goes.
It has a Remington 12 gauge 25" barrel.
Just a plain flat steel butt-plate with a L&R late English lock. Steel Fowler trigger guard and a pinned trigger.
The wood is a fine piece of maple.
Haven't put a front sight on it yet. Undecided whether to use a blade or a drilled ball like on modern shotguns.
No under-lug or ram/rod hole/thimbles.. None needed.. going to use a two-piece aluminum shotgun cleaning rod with a modified jag as a R/R.
Shot-gun weighs 5lbs.
Anyway,
If it points and shots as well as I hope. It will be a turkey killing machine.
Best Regards
Mike
coachgun004.jpg
[/img]
coachgun005.jpg
[/img]
coachgun002.jpg
[/img]

Jeff,
My wife and I are finally going to divorce and I am leaving the state.
Found an over-the-road job in Utah.
Not much room to build/assemble a flint-lock in a tractor trailer.
That's OK.
Didn't think the members here would much care for this one.It's not very traditional.
It's what I call my "white-trash" 12 gauge.
But after-all,I build them for me and what I like.
Will need to decide what to do with my rather large gun collection.
Will probably end up auctioning them off in a while.
Regards
Mike

Actually, it's very traditional in a way. With a little age from the field, it'll look like an older fowler or musket that someone cut down. There are thousands of those around, and yours simply looks like it escaped conversion to percussion (and the wood is a lot nicer than most).

For it's stated purpose, I think it looks nice indeed!

Sorry to hear about your family troubles. :shake:

first off great looking gun. I would be proud to carry it in the woods. sorry to hear about your family problems. I know where you are coming from there, except my ex sold my collection for me while 'I was deployed. I wish you the best of luck. Everything happens for a reason and it will work out in the end. Good luck

Sorry to hear that it's finally come to this...

What's your time frame? We need to shoot one more time at the range...
geoff

Jeff,
I am flying out on Monday 9/6. It would have to be Sunday 9/5.
My soon to be ex-wife is a nice woman and will not sell or destroy my personal effects.
I know there are plenty of guys out there with horror stories. Women are strange creatures. They love you so much one day and hate your guts the next :idunno:
To better topics
Shot her yesterday,
With 70 grains of 3F and an 1-1/2 oz of bird-shot.
First shot she reared up and bit me in the nose, :grin: after that I held on tighter. A turkey load of 90 grains with heavier shot. She is going to be a beast.It needs a fuller chock and a bead sight.
Know a gunsmith that can and will install both. But, it's not going to happen for awhile now.
The good part is the trigger is light and the ignition is very quick. It's small, easy to carry.
I like it.

Mike, sorry to hear of your problems; I know what you are going through. I can just say that things will be better after a while. You will have to have a place to roost when you are not on the road so maybe you can keep building your guns during your off time. Keep us posted. Oh, BTW, nice turkey harvester!

Thanks,
Even thought I will probably end up selling off my 90% of my center-fire collection.
My BP guns are staying put.
All are my own work, except for my John Buck ECW matchlock.
I might name this one after my soon to be ex-wife.
Darlene.
Nice and light, easy to hold, but with a vicious kick :grin:
In fact, I think I will engrave her name on the bottom of the barrel before I leave.

Love it! Plain Jane, no nonsense, reliable working tool. Turkeys aren't attracted to fancy guns like we are :thumbsup: .

Sorry about the divorce. Been there, better off for it. Bill

Nice gun and perfect for your needs, except for being a bit light, perhaps. Might not hurt to take the buttplate off, drill a 1" hole straight into the buttstock, and pour in some lead to get it closer to 6.5-7 pounds. I have an old original 30", 12 ga round barrel that was a percussion halfstock shotgun and may do something similar. I'll probably use the Chambers Late Ketland flintlock and make it be my "fun/hunting gun on the cheap". The other alternative I may explore, more expensive and more work, would be to duplicate an English carbine, but 12 gauge is too big to look much like an original. Either way I have to figure how to get the weight to over 7 pounds because I hate punishing recoil. The barrel I have has a rib and pipes on it and that adds some if I decide to go halfstock.

Enought about me- nice clean gun you made there. Wishing you all the best and smooth roads ahead.

Rich,
That's not a bad idea.. the lead in the butt-plate.
Easy fix.
It needs a tighter chock and a front sight.
Also about 30 more coats of BOL :grin:
I like it..It's a hoot to shoot.
Let one of my friends son shoot it. He had never fired a flinter.. He was impressed with the lock time/ignition and the power of it.

If you do drill a hole into the butt, try to locate it towards the top of the stock rather than in the center or the bottom of the butt.

If the lead (or whatever) is located far below the center of the barrel it will increase the guns upward rotation during recoil. This can turn a pretty good shooting gun into a real cheek or jaw slapper.

Zonie said:
If you do drill a hole into the butt, try to locate it towards the top of the stock rather than in the center or the bottom of the butt.

If the lead (or whatever) is located far below the center of the barrel it will increase the guns upward rotation during recoil. This can turn a pretty good shooting gun into a real cheek or jaw slapper.

Good point Zonie, I had, befor this, allways put it in the center of the butt, thanks.

Tinker2

oldarmy said:
They love you so much one day and hate your guts the next :idunno:
To better topics
Shot her yesterday,
First shot she reared up and bit me in the nose, :grin: after that I held on tighter.

Old Army

I had to read that twice. :shocked2: I was thinking of my Ex-wife.

Sorry about your troubles, I wish you only the best.

I too like your turkey gun, good luck with it.

So with your “Found an over-the-road job in Utah” you might get a
chance to shoot with more of us.

Tinker2

Tinker2 said:
oldarmy said:
They love you so much one day and hate your guts the next :idunno:
To better topics
Shot her yesterday,
First shot she reared up and bit me in the nose, :grin: after that I held on tighter.

Old Army

I had to read that twice. :shocked2: I was thinking of my Ex-wife.

Sorry about your troubles, I wish you only the best.

I too like your turkey gun, good luck with it.

So with your “Found an over-the-road job in Utah” you might get a
chance to shoot with more of us.

Tinker2
I am laughing so hard, at the same time glad the police aren't at my door.. Looking for her :idunno:
Thanks for the advice Zonni. Put the lead in the upper part of the butt-stock.
This company runs long and hard. Don't expect much time to do much else then work. In this economy, I am grateful for the work
The Money is very good. I need to get out of New England for awhile. After a few years, plan on relocating to the western part of the US.
There isn't anything left for me here in Northern New Hampshire.
That's OK.. CHANGE is necessary some times. :v

Back