• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My York is finished!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Mr. Gray. I'm looking foward to seeing more pics of your York project.

Old40Rod said:
Outstanding work... the stock color and finish is amazing!

:thumbsup:

I put on two heavy coats of Laurel Mountain Nut Brown stain wiping each with a paper towel.

After it dried one day I used Jim Chambers' finish. I brushed on a heavy coat and wiped it off with a paper towel.

The second day I sanded it with 320 grit sandpaper. Then brushed on another light coat of finish. I did not wipe it off.

The third day I sanded it with 320 grit and brushed on another coat of finish.

The fourth day I sanded it with 320 grit and wiped on a coat of finish with a GI cleaning patch. This kept any brush strokes from showing.

After I sanded each time I dusted the dust off with a brush and wiped the stock with a tack rag.

Allen

Flint Hunter said:
Thank you Mr. Gray. I'm looking foward to seeing more pics of your York project.

It'll be a while. work load has forced me to put it on the back burner once more...but you've inspired me to get back at it.

Please let us know how she shoots. Again, a very nice looking rifle. Looking foward to seeing YOUR next build. :hatsoff:

Flint Hunter said:
...It is humbling though. I didn't notice until looking at the pics that I forgot to engrave a line on the star. :doh:

I guess I could leave it that way. Might put the line in. What do you think?

I thought it was a turkey footprint! Could've fooled me. Very nice build!!

Goldhunter said:
Flint Hunter said:
...It is humbling though. I didn't notice until looking at the pics that I forgot to engrave a line on the star. :doh:

I guess I could leave it that way. Might put the line in. What do you think?

I thought it was a turkey footprint! Could've fooled me. Very nice build!!

Thanks Goldhunter. I did put a turkey track on the barrel. :) I was referring to the hunter's star on the cheekpiece. Look close and you'll see it.

Allen

Flint Hunter said:
Old40Rod said:
Outstanding work... the stock color and finish is amazing!

:thumbsup:

I put on two heavy coats of Laurel Mountain Nut Brown stain wiping each with a paper towel.

After it dried one day I used Jim Chambers' finish. I brushed on a heavy coat and wiped it off with a paper towel.

The second day I sanded it with 320 grit sandpaper. Then brushed on another light coat of finish. I did not wipe it off.

The third day I sanded it with 320 grit and brushed on another coat of finish.

The fourth day I sanded it with 320 grit and wiped on a coat of finish with a GI cleaning patch. This kept any brush strokes from showing.

After I sanded each time I dusted the dust off with a brush and wiped the stock with a tack rag.

Allen
FH.Did you have any trouble sanding the coats and burning through the Chambers finish into the stain? I was messing around trying to build up a walnut stock and sanding tru oil and it started getting lighter where it cut through areas..Wonder how thick the Chambers builds..I know yours was maple been a lot easier to fill the pores..I take it you dry sanded w/320.Might have to get a hold of some of the Chambers and give a go..Ray

I've been using the Chambers finish on one gun I built and some knives I'm working on. It does build up fairly quickly if you let it. It is also fairly dark so be prepared that it adds quite a bit of color too. I rub down with steel wool that I've dipped in the finish and just rub real lightly and have had only one spot where I stayed too long and lightened up the stock. I just dabbed a little extra finish on that spot and it blended right back in.

It's been great to work with and my only complaint is that it is such a dark amber color. You need to stain the wood accordingly.

Wow, that's very nice work and finish! I think I've found a finish for my 1792 when I get to that point, but that'll be a long time off yet.

I had to be real real careful sanding between coats when using a brand new piece of sandpaper! It wouldn't take much effort to cut through to the wood.

Back