• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Myrtlewood gun stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoom, Gentlemen. Mrs tac and I have just gotten back here in UK after our compulsory month in Oregon, and I have a pertinent query for the many experts who post of this part of the forum.

As many of you know, myrtlewood is the product of a bush that grows to the size of a pretty large tree in southern OR and NORCAL, and shows some amazing colours as well as chocolate-y and caramel-y swirls in the grain. It also has the property of being VERY stable - I should know, I've been making kitchen utensils out of the stuff for over thirty years.

BUT - I've never seen a gunstock made of myrtlewood.

Your expert views are sought before I plonk down a great wedge of $$$ on a nice piece I found that would, in my opinion, make a beautiful forend and buttstock for an older gun that is, sadly, not a muzzleloader, but is nevertheless very close to my heart.

TIA

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

My experience with Myrtlewood is limited to making pens and pencils out of it. All I can say is that it works easy enough and as you mentioned, is an very attractive wood when it's finished. As for why it doesn't appear in many originals, I think your question answers itself. The bush is or was pretty much limited to the Pacific Northwest, and wasn't available to gun makers in the east, at least until way after the "Golden Age" was over. Also, I don't recall where it falls on the hardness scale. Is it hard enough for a gunstock?

I've seen it on modern firearms. It was fairly popular in the US some years ago.

I've made a few 2 piece stocks with it that had unbelievable figure. Hard to find any long pieces. Get's to be a pretty large tree in N. Ca.
Deadeye

Back in the 70's I made a couple of modern rifle stocks with it, but they didn't last long. One look and folks offered to pay a whole lot more than I thought the guns were worth. Being kinda short of funds at that point in my life, the rifles walked and the money went in my pocket.

I've always wondered about using it for muzzleloaders. I have to believe that as the Willamette and Columbia were settled, a few gunsmiths appeared on the scene. If so, there had to be a few myrtle stocks turned out. It's just too good to pass up. Tracking down info on gunsmiths from that region and era and examples of their rifles would be kinda interesting, wouldn't it!

Some very beautiful CF rifles were made from Oregon myrtlewood during the 60s and 70s by some of the top rated builders. Saw some pics and it is indeed a beautiful and unique wood....whether it's suitable for a thin MLer forestock remains to be answered. Also what is the weight compared to maple or walnut?.....Fred

flehto said:
Some very beautiful CF rifles were made from Oregon myrtlewood during the 60s and 70s by some of the top rated builders. Saw some pics and it is indeed a beautiful and unique wood....whether it's suitable for a thin MLer forestock remains to be answered. Also what is the weight compared to maple or walnut?.....Fred

If memory serves (a larger problem with each passing year!), it reminded me of claro walnut in density and the way it cut. Not as hard as maple, but maybe a little heavier.

My only question and something I'd pay attention to, is finding a piece with the right grain for the long forend on a full stock. I've just never looked at it that way. I have no questions about using it for a half stock, but I'd be real picky about the wood for a full stock. I'm not saying it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be the first thing I'd look at.

BrownBear said:
flehto said:

If memory serves (a larger problem with each passing year!), it reminded me of claro walnut in density and the way it cut. Not as hard as maple, but maybe a little heavier.

My only question and something I'd pay attention to, is finding a piece with the right grain for the long forend on a full stock. I've just never looked at it that way. I have no questions about using it for a half stock, but I'd be real picky about the wood for a full stock. I'm not saying it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be the first thing I'd look at.

Thanks a lot, gentlemen, for all your comments.

As I noted in my original post, this is NOT intended for a full-length stocked muzzleloader, but for one of my three BSA Martini-actioned target rifles - they have a two piece stock rather like a Ruger No1, hence my point in mentioning it.

I think I'll go ahead with the project as soon as I can obtain the wood - the piece I have located is big enough for the butt-piece as well as at least three forend sections.

And thanks again for all the comments, just that I've never seen such a stockwood over here in yUK.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

It makes good stock wood, usually found "blonde" vs stained. I have seen several CF stocks made out of it but then I gre up in Myrtle Point, Oregon... Named after that tree. There were lots around there.

Yep, have a friend who has a modern bolt action with a custom myrtlewood stock, even has a thumbhole behind the wrist. Beautiful, light colored swirling wood, but it seems kind of heavy. Bill

snowdragon said:
Yep, have a friend who has a modern bolt action with a custom myrtlewood stock, even has a thumbhole behind the wrist. Beautiful, light colored swirling wood, but it seems kind of heavy. Bill

The stuff is VERY heavy ~ Dense stuff compared to other woods. Makes curley maple seem straight grained though.

This one is Myrtle stained with potassium permangenate.
DSCN1548.jpg

And this Myrtle stock is aquafortis stained.
mymtchlkbrl001-1.jpg

Back