• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Natural blind is as traditional as it gets !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
BUT.....a buck has a modern GPS plot on my natural blind !!

Sat my natural blind this afternoon that overlooks a trail crossing at a 4’deep x 6’wide drainage ditch that runs through a bottom...and I’ll be john brown if a buck hasn’t plotted my blind locations and must have seen me in it in times past. At about 4:45pm I happened to catch some movement a good 75yds off to my left through the trees and it was a good buck going down the bank of the drainage ditch I’m overlooking, headed my way.

I kept watching and every now and then I could catch a glimpse of movement which was the top of his back appearing flush with the top of the ditch as he slowly crept along in the 6” of water, went on past me & my blind, and about 75yds further along he scrambled up the bank to level ground and went on his merry way headed to the next farm that apparently has a corn feeder...tell me they aren’t smart !!

Refer to the 24 Commandments;
8. Most bucks you see will not offer you a shot.

Idaho PRB said:
:grin:
Man, this old boy knew exactly what he was doing...approaching my direction on normal level ground, dropped down well before my blnd, went well past it, popped back up to normal travel.
:hatsoff:

This is personal now...I need to figure out a way to fake him out...

Thats the only way they get old, is being smart. But it makes it all the more sweeter when you out smart one of those old boys. :thumbsup:

I think that we usually get the chances to get the dumb deer so we are actually improving the species...thus making it harder in the future. :hmm:
Oh, an idea roundball, put a shirt in your blind and set up further up or down his path.
That might fake him out...

The same with roebucks and old does. This year I sat in a treestand 15ft over ground. So the roes couldn't know it. Then at best light an old buck game out, antlers were already reduced, he moved very slowly always watching and being smart. I saw him through the trees about 30 min, and he had only to move 20 feet to stand broadside and free, but that damned buck didn't do it. It scrubbed his antlers at a tree like wild and went away back where he came from.

Regards

Kirrmeister

roundball said:
Idaho PRB said:
Man, this old boy knew exactly what he was doing...approaching my direction on normal level ground, dropped down well before my blnd, went well past it, popped back up to normal travel.

If it were me I'd get one of those climbing treestands or maybe a ladder stand and get up into those trees.He won't be looking for you there.How much time is left in your season?

Halftail said:
roundball said:
Idaho PRB said:

If it were me I'd get one of those climbing treestands or maybe a ladder stand and get up into those trees.He won't be looking for you there.How much time is left in your season?

I sold my climber a few years ago, and I won't leave stands on this property...even though its posted and I'm the only one allowed to hunt it I've had two Loc-On's stolen there in recent years, so I only use natural ground blinds.

I've seen him 3 times now and think he's bedding in a dense pine regrowth area on a previous clearcut, on an adjacant farm on the east side...and I know the general route he uses to cross this bottom on my property as he travels to a farm on the west side, so maybe I can find a place to sit and intercept him where he's not expecting me.

Only have 3 Saturdays left until the season ends Jan 1st so the odds are not in my favor...but at least I know where a shooter is still moving and right now he doesn't know that I know he thinks he has me figured out.

My buddy had a big buck several years ago heading toward him in a similiar ditch, then the buck never showed. He decided to slip down to the ditch since he would see both ends and never saw the buck come out. He said the buck simply vanished, he swears there was a hidden cave. lol

You'll get him, sooner or later.
Wess

Roundball...I've got a similar situation at a well-used crossing on a steep-sided creek where I've placed a tree stand only to watch them now cross some 80 yards away. I'm waiting for the wind to be right, then take my 6" high turkey seat, find me a good tree a short distance up wind from their new crossing, and get comfortable as I wait for them to arrive. Now, all of this is if the squirrels and jays don't announce my new location. The three day Illinois muzzleloaders-only season comes in this Friday, so I'll have the woods to myself as I try to match wits with the whitetails. I have to keep telling myself that I only have to win once but they've got to win everytime.

29caliber said:
"...turkey seat..."

One of the best investments I've ever made...

Everestrecliner64496_camoresized.jpg

For about 15 years I've been using one of these. Made out of 1/2" plywood about 14" wide & 16" long. Strap it to any tree and you have an instant seat.

And with enough advance warning you can slip off and use it as a rest when kneeling.

You can sling it over your shoulder & carry it while still-hunting too.

treeseat.jpg

009_07.jpg

Stumpkiller said:
For about 15 years I've been using one of these. Made out of 1/2" plywood about 14" wide & 16" long. Strap it to any tree and you have an instant seat.

And with enough advance warning you can slip off and use it as a rest when kneeling.

You can sling it over your shoulder & carry it while still-hunting too.

treeseat.jpg

009_07.jpg

How about some dimensions of the one that you use?

We're talking non-critical dimensions here but it's something like 14" wide, 16" long, 1/2" thick. I'll measure out the holes, too. The design I copped, er, I mean the concept I integrated callse for a slot in the wood and knots in the rope. After getting dumped on the ground several times and finally having the plywood split out I came up with the locking "knotless" rope trap myself.

I'll take a better snapshot & some real measurements tonight.

I also got soft and cemented a foam seat pad to the top. A piece of slit high-pressure steam hose along the "V" cutout protects the plywood and keeps it quiet on the tree bark wneh I shist around.

roundball said:

Hang your hat and coat in the blind to give him a little smell and something to look at. Then move on down where you can be out of sight with a good view of where he usually climbs out of the ditch.

Dead deer.

BrownBear said:
roundball said:

Hang your hat and coat in the blind to give him a little smell and something to look at. Then move on down where you can be out of sight with a good view of where he usually climbs out of the ditch.

Dead deer.

Very sneaky there Brown Bear...

Back