• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Natural blind is as traditional as it gets !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:

Can you stand up or shift without a lot of motion? Deer seem to ALWAYS come from the direction not expected. I know (lately anyhow) that if I get my hips below my knees the grunting alone involved in rising would spook the deer. :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stumpkiller said:
roundball said:

Can you stand up or shift without a lot of motion? Deer seem to ALWAYS come from the direction not expected. I know (lately anyhow) that if I get my hips below my knees the grunting alone involved in rising would spook the deer. :rotf:

Um, talking about hips and grunting makes me think that you need the seat with the hole in the center. :rotf:

Stumpkiller said:
roundball said:
Can you stand up or shift without a lot of motion?
I know what you're saying...but it hasn't been a problem so far, mainly because where I use it in a couple natural blinds, they are set up for the direction that the deer move.
One overlooks a trail that crosses a big ditch down in a bottom and basically, if I see any deer they'll be using that trail.
The other is in a little oak flat...if I see any deer there they are coming out of an adjacant regrowth/clearcut area into the hardwoods in front of me.

I have learned a simple way to get up out of it though...and that is to cross my legs in front of me, lean forward onto my knees, then stand up. And there are benefits to being down low...you make a much smaller/lower profile in the woods...less apt to be seen through normal woods ground clutter...its warmer closer to the ground and you're not hit by as much wind, etc...pros & cons I guess.

Cabelas actually has a similar chair with rigid arm rests that come up 6"-8" on each side, and they help getting up and down a lot...but the chair is too small for big men...it's too narrow when dressed for cold weather and the arm rests wedge around you...plus the seat & back rest sizes are too small/too short...if the company would make that arm rest design in a big man's version it would be a better fit...however, the Cabelas version has another problem...it has 4 separate foot pads which sink into soft ground...the EveRest has the full width bars for leg support and I found that design to be perfect, no sinking, etc.

Roundball...I just ordered one of those chairs. While I've got a couple of different styles of deer/turkey seats, none are stand-alone types and need a tree to work or be comfortable. This chair will allow me to set up anywhere regardless of there being a usable tree. If it proves to not be as versatile as it apprears, I can always use it around the house so that it won't be so far to the floor to pick up the stuff I drop! Thanks for sharing the information.

And I can't believe they can sell them that cheap...they're strong and comfortable...hope you find it to your liking.

One of the really neat things is when you're gearing up to leave, you don't need two hands to fold it up first and then shoulder it...just grab the non-slip shoulder stap on the back, lift it up and the chair closes while it's on it's way to your shoulder...the design is so simple it's incredible.

And as I mentioned, for long 'sits' a 2" foam cushion is nice and only adds a few more ounces to it's overall light weight

YOu might consider finding a 3 foot length of firehose, or some coarse textured garden hose, to run around the backside of the tree with that setup. That will keep the bark from abrading your rope. I am assuming of course, that you are looking for a tree that is about as wide as your shoulders so you are both protected from the winds, and your outline is broken up against the tree. Most men are about 2 feet wide- some are wider, and that 3 foot length is based on several I have seen that work out for large and small men alike.

Back