• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Naval Jelly for Metal Finishing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thebeancounter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting off my dead ass and moving from the planning stage to the building stage. The gun will be used for deer hunting. I am looking for utility and not necessarily a gun that is true to history. It is an underhammer 45 cal using a Green Mountain 1/18 twist 35 inch 1 1/4 round barrel. Iron sights for both front and rear installed via dovetail. I will be shooting 385gr conicals. The stock will be made from 2" piece of Walnut obtained from a mill in Pennsylvania. I bought the lock from Deer Creek. Most of the time I will be hunting from a climbing stand so I will feel like a predawn pack horse.
So here I go with a multiple part set of questions:

1) The gun will weigh a ton, but that is OK as long as I can figure out a way to attach a sling to the barrel. I don't want to tie or slip the sling over the barrel. I was going to get a machine shop to make a collar fitting that will attach to the barrel using screws drilled at 90 degrees from the angle of force so the weight of the gun is not hanging on the screw threads. Any input about that challenge would be appreciated. Maybe I am over thinking this one.

2)I read a comment here about naval jelly being used to finish metal. I am intrigued by this and would like to consider finishing the metal this way. I don't want to have rust problems and have no idea how to go about finishing metal using this technique. I have spent some time "Googling" naval jelly it but only produces information about removing rust. I have seen old guns finished this way but I have no idea how it is done or if extra care is required if you choose this method for finishing the metal. Can you enlighten me?
It probably makes more sense to rust the metal using the Laurel Mountain product, but I want to get as much info as possible before I commit. The brown finish would also help in keeping me concealed from the deer, should they look up.

3)And while I am asking for metal finishing help... I bought an under rib and pipes along with the barrel and to my disappointment they arrived already painted with powder coat paint. I need to remove the paint so the pieces can be finished in the same manner as the barrel. Paint removal advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
- Bill

Like any finish, keep it wiped down with a good protect ant an there shouldn't be any problem. My customs all were finished with Navel Jelly. Roy would be a good one to ask but I believe it's a brush on and let sit for 15 minutes deal. If it's uneven for any reason, redo unlit it's uniform. But send him a pt, he does it all the time.

Sounds like your rib abd thimbles are probably aluminum. Could be why they were painted. I don't think it will match up.

Thebeancounter said:
Thanks for your reply. I checked and a magnet sticks to the under rib.

Wow, cheaper to paint than it is to blue?

Btw clikck on my sig pick and you can see pic's on my New England style hunting rifle done with navel jelly. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I sent your gunbuilder Nimrod an email asking for a lesson in metal finishing. I appreciate the lead.

Thebeancounter said:
Thanks. I sent your gunbuilder Nimrod an email asking for a lesson in metal finishing. I appreciate the lead.

:haha: That was actually my email but not to worry, I got ya turn around in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back