• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

navy arms 12 SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
purchased recently a Pietta manufactured Navy Arms 12 gauge SxS S# 11xxx and got to take it out today for a shake down.

first load was 80 grains GOEX 2f powder with a thick buffer and the powder measure still set at the 80 grain set filled with #4 shot and a card overshot wad. this is a very nice and mellow load and most importantly ... at 35 yards ... both modified choke barrels hit to point of aim.

second load was 90 grains powder and 90 grain volume of the #4 shot. this load was very nice tho a bit more brisk however very controllable ... still hitting both barrels at the point of aim at the 35 yds.

third was with some .690 inch balls loaded over 80 grains powder with a .020 inch patch ... these hit rocks every time I shot ... with either barrel.

fourth was with 90 grains with the patched .690 balls. these both hit to point of aim as well still at the 35 yds.

last 2 balls loaded over the 90 grain charge I set up a target at the 35 yards to see for sure where the barrel regulated and WALLA ... both barrels hit at within 1 inch of each other at this short yardage.

im very impressed with this lite little 12 gauge and think I may have a new obsession ... this lil hummer is a blast ...pun intended!

anybody else had experience with this little jewel? is this the norm with this double?

what would be the top load with the ball's?

thanks ... Ted

My past experience with a Navy Arms double 12 is quite similar, though quite a few years ago. Gun is long traded away and I don't recall the markings so can't tell you the maker but possibly Pietta if they were providing double 12's to navy back in the day. You might try more shot than powder, by volume, to tighten up the patterns rather than equal amounts. I would recommend you stay about where you are with the round ball loads. Not all double barrels are thick at the breech and there's not sense inviting over pressure problems. The loads you tried will go right through Bambi most of the time!! :wink:

:hmm: not many bambies hereabouts however we do have Humpy Moose round every once inna while and a few caribou from time to time. im bettin that under 70 yds this huge .690 ball will do the trick with the 90 grain charge, gonna have to try to measure the thickness of my chambers and the first 8 inch of barrel now. good idea ...thanks ... :thumbsup:

I don't think the 90 grain load will be a problem for the gun and you could probably get away with another 10 to 15 grains for hunting. Just don't try to match the rifle level loads that some try with shotguns. You may get away with it for a long time but when a barrel fails it's extremely spectacular and potentially painful.

I hear ya and will definitely heed your wise sounding advise. the 80 grain load is pleasant to shoot in this very lite shotgun. im going to do some measurements further but I have concluded from my snap gauges that the bore is of .734 inch. so now all I have to do is measure the outside of my barrels down where the pressure is highest. I will note the thickness of my barrels and post it for clarification.

again thanks for the helpful hints.

It's interesting to me that both barrels are MOD. I've owned a couple of them, and both were CYL. Every other one I'm familiar with was also CYL. Both of mine have been real happy with 1f powder, giving fine patterns using the same measure for both powder and shot. Slightly smoother than when using the same measure for both, and the equivalent of using a little less powder with 2f- saving me the need to carry 2 measures.

My duck load is 90 grains of 1f and the same measure (1 1/4 oz) of shot. For ptarmies and snowshoe I've been using 70 grains (1 oz shot), and sometimes even 60 grains (7/8 oz) for snowshoes. The guns give surprisingly good performance with those light loads at my normal shooting distances.

My son has the 10 guage cylinder bored. 70 grains 2f with equal volume shot has worked well for clay birds. Haven't worked enough to determine where it is regulated but it appears to shoot left from the left barrel. Have not shot round ball from it.

I may have been mistaken ...[I said MAY]... :grin: ... maybe this grand shotgun is cylinder bore. it does not appear to have any restriction and the muzzle ends are semi countersunk so the loading is easy peasy.

cant wait to cast some more balls for it and continue playing with it. this is a giant hoot! I really am surprised with my fondness of this smoothbore. never thought id be so happy with any barrel that didn't have those squiggly things in it. I very well may have to obtain another of these easy loading smoothbores and might just have to use one to harvest a moose and a caribou.

Wes/Tex said:
I don't think the 90 grain load will be a problem for the gun and you could probably get away with another 10 to 15 grains for hunting. Just don't try to match the rifle level loads that some try with shotguns. You may get away with it for a long time but when a barrel fails it's extremely spectacular and potentially painful.

so here is my numbers and im going to try to put em down clear enough to follow.

breech = 1.037 - .734 bore = .303 divide by 2= .1515
2" from breech = 1.030- .734 =.296 divide by 2= .148
4"= 1.004 - .734 = .270 divide 2 = .135
6"= .993 - .734 = .259 divide 2 = .1295
8" = .945 - .734 = .211 divide 2 = .1055
10" = .905 - .734 = .171 divide 2 = .0855

so these figures indicate that from the breech end the sidewall thickness is .1515 inch and tapers down at the 10 inch from the breech measures .0855 inch sidewall thickness.

these figures indicate to me that in a modern fluid steel barrel that it should devour my loads with ease ... what say yee? just wanting to check to see if my barrels do measure up to what is a strong barrel that would handle my loads consistently and without danger.

thanks again for the hint to check it out to be sure of what my barrels will handle on an everyday basis.

Hello Bigted, I also own a Pietta manufactured Navy Arms 12 gauge SxS. You are right in saying that it is a blast to shoot. I would be concerned with trying to shoot any big game with it. The main reason is the lack of a rear site. Yes, I know that "back in the day" many critters were hunted with a similar weapon. How many of them were wounded due to poor shot placement? I personally would not use this firearm for big game hunting. Bird and fowl hunting at reasonable distances...Yes. Just my 2 cents. Keith

JEEZ !!! thanks !!! now I NEED a set of 14 inch barrels for my shooter. seriously anybody know where I can find a set?

Latest posts

Back