• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Paskowski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Did Navy Arms ever make a muzzleloader pistol? They don't list one on their site. There's someone who is selling one they claim to be a Navy Arms that has never been fire, for a $100.00 is this a good deal?

Navy Arms has imported many bp percussion revolvers: I own an 1851 Navy Colt made by Pietta with 'Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield, NJ' on the barrel.

Navy Arms is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, importer of black powder replica arms in the US, having been established by the late Val Forgett. They imported guns by Uberti and Pietta.

The quality of Navy Arms guns is directly dependent on the original manufacturer. I've been very pleased with mine.

$100 seems like a good value. Of course, it depends greatly on what model and condition. "Never been fired" is fine if it's been properly stored, and meaningless if it hasn't.

The ad read that it was a single shot. I'm assuming it's like a trapper's pistol. Everything on Navy's site are revolvers. Does this sound right. I mean about it being a trapper type?

Navy Arms did and I believe still does import their own version or the Pedersoli 1805 Harpers Ferry flintlock pistol. It is browned and not in the white as the regular Pedersoli Harpers Ferry. I think they also had Kentucky and Queen Ann pistols.
Bruce

The "1973 GUN WORLD ANNUAL" shows three single shot muzzleloading pistols offered by Navy Arms.

These are a 1806 Harpers Ferry flintlock pistol in .56 caliber, a Kentucky flintlock pistol in .44 caliber and a Percussion "Harpers Ferry Dragoon" in .58 caliber.

These same guns are shown in the "BLACK POWDER GUN DIGEST" Digest Books Inc., Northfield, Ill 1972.

The "Third Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values" shows many single shot pistols imported by Navy Arms. These include:
1775 Black Watch Scottish Pistol, .58 cal $180
British Dragoon Pistol, .614 cal $360
1777 Charleville Pistol, .69 cal $190
Durs Egg Saw Handled Pistol, .45 cal $210
1805 Harpers Ferry Pistol, .58 cal $310
1806 Harpers Ferry Pistol .58 cal $305
J.S. Hawkins Pistol, .50, .54 cal $230
Kentucky Pistol, .44 cal $215
Le Page Pistol .45 cal flint or prec. .45 cal $560
John Manton Match Pistol, .45 cal $215
Moore and Patrick Pistol .45 cal $310
Mountain Pistol, .50 cal $220
Napoleon Le Page Pistol, .45 cal $170
Queen Anne Pistol, .50 cal $180
F. Rochatte Pistol, .45 cal $250
Elgin Cutlass Knife Pistol, .44 cal $75
Philadelphia Derringer .45 cal $120
Engraved (snake eyes) derringer $125

All prices shown are for guns in 100 percent condition.

Dixie is the oldest. Turner Kirkland used to get upset when folks said Navy Arms was the first--or so it's said.

I decided to satisfy my own curiosity on this one, so I did a little research. Turner started Dixie in 1954 and Val Forgett founded Navy Arms in 1956. Since they both are gone now that doesn't matter much, but their contribution to the growth of muzzleloading was enormous and is still with us today. :thumbsup:

Russ, thanks. I wasn't sure. I knew they were both pioneers, without whom I would not be having as much fun as I am today. Seriously.

Latest posts

Back