• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ND M/L opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I got another one with my virginia rifle. I though I might recover the ball for once since it blew out both shoulders and I couldn't find the exit wound. Come to find out it exited sideways after expanding so it was a pretty skinny exit wound, for a .58. She went about 30 yards and piled up after the shot. They have some pretty thick hair up here to survive -45 temps, makes them look alot different than deer else where in the country.

skylarspics112010036.jpg

Grats! :thumbsup: And good luck trying to recover a .58 ball, oh I'm sure someone has but I've yet to from any of mine.

Way to go Tex...congratulations!
:hatsoff:

Nice rifle...my favorite deer rifle is a .58cal Virginia as well.

( PS: what's all the WHITE stuff ???? )

:hmm:

Yup, I shoot more critters with this rifle than with my modern rifles. It's a l/h virginia rifle made by TVM, it has a c weight rice .58cal 42" barrel that is so thin that it points and balances like a fowler, it is very accurate to boot and always shots to poa no matter what temp it is or whether from a clean or fouled barrel. The lock is a caywood fowler lock which is a supurb lock, I have never had a single problem with it and it is fast and surefire, the lock also has the raised lip to keep water out and rain gutters.I always use 85 grns of kik 3f powder under a patched round ball, I've never had a critter go more than 30 yards and have never recovered a ball. I did cheat this time by painting my front sight with a bright yellow finger nail polish my daughter had, it made a big difference in sight picture.

Sweet work! Brrrrrrrrrrr. At least you don't need to worry about cutting that deer up before it rots like I do here in North Carolina!

Congrats!Wow,are they ALL deer tracks to the right of the frame?Looks like a deer hiway there!They is some pretty BIG rubs on the trees too,lmao! :grin:

That's actually behind my house where I hang the deer for processing. Where I hunt I'm getting 500 deer cam pics a day now that it's cold, the ground is actually bare from all the deer coming through. The temp that day was not too bad it was around zero when I shot her, up here you have to be process quick not because of spoilage but your deer will freeze on you and my wife won't let me thaw the deer in the house (don't ask). The last couple of seasons it was averaging -15 when I was up in the stand.My thumb stuck to the hammer once when I took my glove off to shoot, that was cold.

Way to go tex'!

Please send some of that snow to Indiana here. We could use it for our "muzzleloader" season in a week or so. Gotta love muzzleloader hunting in the white stuff. :thumbsup:

Skychief.....

You guys can have the rest, this is all the snow we need this winter. We are supposed to have anouther storm blowing in tonight, they say they can't forcast the totals, that's never good. beleive it or not our deer number are down quite a bit from several bad winters with deep snow. 3 years ago seeing herds of 300 plus deer in every other field was normal and we were all complaining about all the deer that were getting hit by cars. I'm hoping we get a mild winter so the winter kill is not so bad.

texcl said:
You guys can have the rest, this is all the snow we need this winter. We are supposed to have anouther storm blowing in tonight, they say they can't forcast the totals, that's never good. beleive it or not our deer number are down quite a bit from several bad winters with deep snow. 3 years ago seeing herds of 300 plus deer in every other field was normal and we were all complaining about all the deer that were getting hit by cars. I'm hoping we get a mild winter so the winter kill is not so bad.
An Internet friend of my Wife's lives in ND, sent this to her last year:

NorthDakotaDeerneckdeepinsnow.jpg

Back