• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NECK KNIFE.......Finished for Customer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is a nice Neck knife I thought you would all like to see. I recently finished for a customer. Handforged from 1095 carbon steel... some slight file working right after a aged cherry Handle...Hand stitched Neck sheath with a nice heart style flap.... Thanks for having a look!
entneck.jpg

[email protected]

Thanks everyone for your kind words and such much appreciated!
The sizes on the knife were.
Handle was about 4 1/8 and the blade about 4 5 /16 or so give or take a smidge. The steel 1095 high carbon, handle was handcut Wild cherry and the pins were steel....The neck sheath I stitched by hand as all my sheaths from smooth hand cowhide that was hand oiled and finished...also had a leather neck thong I leave them untied at the top so folks can tie them off to there measurment....I make them both with a cleaner finish or (satin finish) or with the hammer finish..Or sometimes I leave a aging patina that gives a (browning or dark look) to the blade. All depends what the customer wants or likes in a knife...Thanks again
Matt

ML Knives,
VERY NICE!!!!!! :thanks: for sharing
the photos.
snake-eyes :applause: :master: :applause: :hatsoff:

Very nice work and that stitching job is impeccable.

Regards, sse

Very nice piece and sheath! I make knives to suppliment my retirement income, 668 knifes to date. I may copy your sheath design for a forged neck knife. Most of my knives are of the stock removal variety but I prefer the look, feel and cutting ability of forged knives. I use Starrett O-1 steel exclusively mostly because it's available and makes a very good quailty blade. My forged blades are always harder and hold an edge better than my stock removal ones. I think my coal fired forge may put more carbon in the steel. Whatever the reason, I think forged knives are the ultimate way to go.
Keep showing us you fine work.

Many Thanks for all of your kind words! EVERYONE! Appreciate everything!

Charles:
I agree forged blades are excellent. and the only way to go in my opinion. The edge holding and hardness of the blade depend on the hardening and tempering of the steel...I mainly use 1095 but dont stay restricted 100% to that steel..although I favor it...I have used 0-1 before and your right it is a very nice steel to work with as well..
What kind of steel are you using in your "stock removal blades"?
Thanks again...when I can get more time I will post more of my finished customer pieces...
Matt

That's a beauty! A Seminoles War reenactor I know makes anter-tine patch knifes worn on a neck sheath. He wears one all the time. Says that its so handy he gave up carrying a pocket knife!

I use O-1 for everything. My preference would be L6 for stock removal blades but it's hard to find. O-1 makes blades that have been given rave reviews from their owners. I like 1095, especially for my forged blades, but again it's not easy to find in the closest local market I can drive to,El Paso,TX. I've read that O-1 has some cracking issues if you let it cool too much while forging. I've never had any problems with it cracking. I made a lot of blades and tested them to destruction when I started forging to get my technique down.
You've inspired me! I'm going to have to fire up the forge and do some pounding.

Hi Bob J:

Thanks much...
I agree with your friend who makes the antler tine neck knives....They are very handy. I wear one everyday and use it for everthing you can think of....

Charles:
Thanks for your insight on O-1....
I know its a real good Carbon steel...One of the finest..
Especially when tempered correctly. ....
I just prefer the 1095..I have great results with it when forging. Like I mentioned before I like other steels I have used in the past, but still I have to favor the 1095...
I am happy to have inspired you....I feel great about that...Happy forging...if you feel like shoot'n the breeze email me anytime....Matt

i have been a fan of tour work and i was wondering if you acid etch your blades and if you hand stitch your sheaths

Hello One Feather:

Thank you.
No my blades are not acid etched...
all the pattern you see on the blades are done by hand-hammer work.
All of my sheaths are handstitched I use no machines...I use a harness stitch. All the holes are made one at a time with a hand awl that I forged and made in my shop.
Thanks again
Matt

Hi Charles:

I am attaching a pic of a few..I have to many pictures to post on a thread....If you email me I can send you more info....
See if you can see the pictures I am attaching...
Thanks much
Matt
[email protected]
posting.jpg

Latest posts

Back