• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need 4f powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I am in need of a source for FFFF powder. I cannot find a single can anywhere and dont wish to order a full case of powder. Do you know anyone around Elizabethtown, KY that may carry this? I just need a can or two, preferably GOEX.

Thanks,
Bill

You can use FFFG for priming. It works just as well as FFFFG does. It took a lot of convincing, but these folks were right, and it's all I use now. Otherwise, FFFFG can be hard to find. You might try your local gun shows. I run into a can now and then at a show.

You can order from the companies, and mix our order, to include a pound of 4Fg powder. So, place a minimum order with Powder, Inc, or Graf& Sons, or Jerry's Powder Keg, or Maine Powder Room, etc--- usually 4 or 5 lbs.-- to get any help on the price and shipping, and Haz Mat fees, and just include a request for a pound or two of 4Fg.

Simple. Other than Picking up a can at Friendship, I don't know anywhere else you can expect to find it at retail. ( Friendship, Ind. is the Home of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association. Its located in SE Indiana, not that far from the Ohio River. If you are not a member, you should be. And if you live in Kentucky, you should be making the trip to Friendship at least once a year, IMHO, just out of respect for the folks that have made shooting Any black powder possible all these years. Get more information on it by going to the Links section on the Index page to this forum).

I know you need a can or 2 but you can make it by putting powder in a plastic film canister with a lead ball and shake.

410-er said:
I know you need a can or 2 but you can make it by putting powder in a plastic film canister with a lead ball and shake.

Or with a mortar and pestel. I've used a spoon and a round bottomed coffee cup with success.

But as Paul said, you should get up to Friendship for the NMLRA National Shoots. It's as much fun as a ML shooter can have. Members can buy powder at most events.

Know what you mean. They outlawed real black powder here (transporting it).

So now we have to go to Orygun and smuggle it in like criminals.

Try Jackie Venskoske at Back Creek Gun Shop. I have know him for 25 years and highly recomend him. He is an expert on powder and related laws. If it goes bang and makes smoke he has it in stock, great price too.
http://blackpowderva.com/
E-MAIL: [email protected]
BACK CREEK GUN SHOP, INC
863 Chesnut Grove Road * Winchester, VA 22603
PHONE: (540) 888 3349 - BEST TIME TO CALL:
7:00 AM, NOON, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I take my FFF and put a primer-flask worth in a non sparking cup and crush it with the pommel/butt of my knife. Works fine.

i have used a film canister with my 3f and roundball to make it finer,like 4f.also used 2f to make 4f long ago.

i still like 4f,even tho you can get away with 3f,i feel confident with 4f in pan,so, i use that. :wink:

I use FFFg for prime too. Though lately I just prime with what's in the horn, so sometimes it's FFg. Frankly I don't notice any difference at all. The only thing I use FFFFg for nowadays is to charge my .22 C&B revolvers. Gives them a nice sharp bark!

Back