• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a 15/16" smooth bore octagon barrel 12ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problen isn't necessarly the barrel wall thickness, but the thickness where the nipple screws in and where the breech plug threads are cut. I have a 7/8ths .50 caliber Rice barrel and that's as big as I'd go on a 7/8ths barrel. There are so many nice lightweight smoothbore guns on the market, I don't understand the desire to convert cheap rifles into smoothbores.

Swampman said:
There are so many nice lightweight smoothbore guns on the market, I don't understand the desire to convert cheap rifles into smoothbores.

For me the reason I wanted a smooth bore was to have the extra barrel as a set. I would be able to have my underhammer with three barrels. A .45, .50, and a 12 ga. They interchange in minutes.

Where I hunt in Texas, I can be use the one gun for different applications. I can be hunting Turkey in the morning, boar in afternoon, and deer in the early evening.

This would be easier then carrying three different guns from Wa. state to Tx. on the airlines.

I built an underhammer using a 1 3/8 action from Bruce Lingenfelter. I have 2 barrels by Bill Moody, both .72 caliber, 30" long, octagon. The Round Ball barrel is a slower twist and tapers from 1.25 to 1.0" It looks nice and points like a shotgun. The slug barrel is 1-72 twist and tapers from 1.25 to 1.125.

I haven't loaded over 100 grains of 2F Swiss, in the round ball or slug barrels but really don't believe I need to either.

I'm considering a .62 barrel myself and would probably have Moody make one like my Round Ball barrel that tapers from 1.25 to 1.0

I'm also going to try making some paper shot pouches to see if I can obtain a decent pattern using the PRB barrel. If that works, I won't have a need to buy a smooth bore barrel.

If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to have Bill make barrels for your underhammer. Also would you mind posting a picture? Sounds like what I've been trying to do.

Thanks

I don't see how one could possibly make a 12 ga. barrel that was 15/16" at the breech anyway. The barrel walls would be about 3/32"!!!....the threads for the plug would cut through to the oustide of the barrel!

"I can be hunting Turkey in the morning, boar in afternoon, and deer in the early evening."

I can do that with any of my smoothbores, without changing barrels. Each to his own. :thumbsup:

Fatdutchman said:
I don't see how one could possibly make a 12 ga. barrel that was 15/16" at the breech anyway. The barrel walls would be about 3/32"!!!....the threads for the plug would cut through to the oustide of the barrel!

Your right and I believe that was discussed earlier in the thread.. I'll have to look back. I was referring to what my initial plan was when I posted this.

A 12 ga. that would obviously be of a thicker barrel is needed if I wanted one. At this point its just brainstorming.

gmww said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to have Bill make barrels for your underhammer. Also would you mind posting a picture? Sounds like what I've been trying to do.

Thanks

Bill Moody, at the time charged $4 per inch, straight octagon, $5 per inch tapered octagon. I had the barrel made 1 1/4" tapered to 1", 30" long and a 1-72" twist. He will make any twist you want.

It handles and points like a shotgun. If I have Bill make another .72 barrel, I'l have it tapered 1 3/8 to about 1 1/16, just for a little more wall thickness. the 1 1/4 to 1" would be great for a .62 caliber.

To lock the barrel into the action I put a hardened steel pin through the action and breech plug. I like that better than set screws. The action is color case hardened. I'm changing the rear sight to a 2 leaf express sight.

Some say that the .72 round ball at 550 grains may be too much. I'm sure if this hog could talk he'd say it was. He flipped over on his back when hit and stayed there.

I've never used a rifle, of any type, at a match that attracted so much attention. Course, you know I just hate that!

BoarsDen011A.jpg

Latest posts

Back