• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need a flintock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not knowing what you have in your mind...you could go custom or mass produced.
If its your first Flintlock and you're not even sure if you'll like it or not...$1000 would get you a new $600 T/C Hawken plus a good supply of black powder, patches, balls, black english flints, a priming horn, etc, etc, etc.

Or you could put $1000 towards the cost of a new custom Flintlock, the final price to be decided by your budget, degree of interest, etc...then buy your supplies.

Or...you could buy used in either market and start that way...

I'll steer you towards Tennesee Valley Muzzleloading if you want one built for you. All their rifles are priced at or below $1000 for starters. I just did business with them and was very happy.

As for production guns, you can pretty much get anything you want for $1000. Take a look at Lyman and Pedersoli products.

One of the MANY forums which you will enjoy here at The Forum is classified ads.

As with the purchase of any firearm, knowing what you will use it for shapes the decision greatly. If you are looking for a deer rifle, or a squirrel rifle, or a moose rifle, or a duck gun you would have 4 distincly different weapons.
if we can get you in contact with a few local flintlock shooters, you could handle and shoot several different rifles (assuming you aren't looking for a pistol or shotgun) and see what appeals to you.

In other words, help us out so we can help you out.

sjf said:
Whats a good flintlock for $1000? Pro,s and con's.Thanks
And what be your purpose for this smoke pole?
Hunting
Fishing (thas a funny)
Reenacting
Self defense
Target shooting
Impressing your girl?

Are you most concerned with function, looks, or resale value?

makes a diff.

That's how you get real good specific pros and cons. Give us more clues.

Otherwise--like the elder attorney said "You pays your money and takes your chances." :v

Sorry for the lack of info.This well be my first flintlock already have two T/C muzzleloaders a 50 and 32.Have had them for over twenty-some years ,just got back into shooting BP a month or so ago.Dont really know anyone Im kind of a hermit so I have to come here for info.Took the .32 cherokee out and went squirrel hunting with it and had a blast so im thinking on a rifle in .32 or .36 cal..Interested in the 1800 to 1840 time period ,likes the look of a real long rifle.

You might want to look at the sitting fox muzzleloaders webstite. I've looked at a lot of
places and this one interests me the most. I've narrowed down my choices to one of three but the
hardest choice is which one of those three. Anyway, this is just an idea to get you started.

Good luck and welcome aboard

Yeah, I'm speaking "out of school" but I've been shopping the kits pretty hard and have narrowed down my possible sources to TN Valley Muzzleloading Inc. (Matt and Toni Avance) and Sitting Fox (Ray Franks). Both of those companies have been helpful and tolerant of my emails.

But then I've located a builder within an hour and another builder/supplier withing a two hour drive--so I may do my own thang from a flat blank. I can barely afford the parts-so buying one piece at a time may be my approach.

If I wanted a squirrel rifle-I'd build something like the Sitting Fox "Tenn. Poor Boy Squirrel Rifle #K46" for 450 and shipping. But your tastes may run different.

HTH

My Sitting Fox is Awesome. Oldarmy built it for me. To see photos of it, go to photos, see Oldarmy's post .62. But again you can't go wrong with Sitting Fox. Gunn

I have a Matt Avance flintlock and it is a great rifle. Just ordered a 45 from Sitting Fox and Ray was most helpful over the phone. Looking forward to getting the rifle soon.

I just comp priced Sitting Fox and TVM on a kit and Ray was $150.00 less than TVM. I've done business with Ray in the past. Last kit arrived 3 weeks from order. I know who I'll be buying from in the future.

Don Powell said:
I just comp priced Sitting Fox and TVM on a kit and Ray was $150.00 less than TVM. I've done business with Ray in the past. Last kit arrived 3 weeks from order. I know who I'll be buying from in the future.
Please don't spread the "lowest price is best" disease. That's what closed the Mom and Pop store and gave us--the blessed no-service, no-selection, practical incompetence, and yet with attitude stores full of crappy product. !

Our good suppliers deserve better than that.

In this case, there may possibly be some bit of difference in the inletting and/or shaping of wood, or the grade of the stock, that makes up for the difference. May be. Only way to know is to order both kits. Or to listen to those who've worked with both. Someone who had work with different kits assured me that the TVM was the best fitting of them all-that they had used. I'm not saying that Ray Franks was one of their suppliers. I 'll still recommend either one of those sources.

So pays yo money and takes yo chances. :v

If you really really aren't handy with tools--get an in-the-white rifle and just do the finish work. :hmm:

Sometimes the price difference indicates the use of a tubing barrel instead of a quality gun barrel. Buyer beware is a thought to be kept in mind.

Russ T. that is real good advise. There are too many folks selling Hydl. tubing for smooth gun barrels. :cursing:

sjf---welcome to the forum. Your second post helped some, 1800-1940's time period, longer barrel, 32 - 36 caliber. You are just getting your feet wet in this old flintlock stuff, under $1000.

I assume you also want one BUILT already and you do NOT want a kit... Is this right?

I did find going to websites like Track Of The Wolf, and yes even paying the 5 bucks for their catalog was VERY helpful to me. (That catolog is made for HERMITS!!!) I also attended some Rendevuoz to actually see and handle and see guys shooting these long flintlock rifles.. it was extremely beneficial. Plus, yes being HERE!

There are many options. Depends on YOUR tastes mostly. Do you want one that is more Great Plains or more Pennsylvanian? Go look at some pictures on websites and come back here and tell us what caught your eye.

Zoar said:
and yes even paying the 5 bucks for their catalog was VERY helpful to me. (That catolog is made for HERMITS!!!)
Hush yo' mouf-the catalog came yesterday and I was up until 3 this morning! :hmm: :shake: :nono: :shocked2:

Then I spend a few hours today with guy who was on the cover of Muzzle Blasts in the 70's.

This bug is getting around.

40 Flint good choice. I have 2 of those rifles a .40 and a .50. Matt is a fine man to buy from. You can order them any way you want. I would suggest you go with a swamped barrel if you order a flinter. :thumbsup:

Back