• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Need" a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This year has been great for hunting. I have shot 5 deer, 1 elk, and a big turkey. I am now looking into going after birds and rabbit. You can not shoot birds i.e pheasants with a rifle. So, I need a smoothbore does anyone have a good idea for one. I'm thinking of a Northwest trade gun. I was thinking of getting a kit and building it myself. It will be my first build. Any help or idea who to get it from?

Dixie gun works has a trade gun on there
new product list. in kit form for around
575.00 i think.
tac2

Matt at North Star West builds a stunning musket. The Officers Bess is a very handy piece, Matts work, advice and after care is second to none.

I would go for a smoothie in a .69 or .72 if it is strictly for shot and bird hunting, the type/style will be a personal choice, it would be best to shoulder some different ones to see how they come up to the eye, this is very important for wingshooting.

Mike Brooks! If you're serious about wingshooting get a Brooks gun. I've yet to miss a live bird with his fowler or even have a misfire.

I shot 20 consecutive clays tonight and if it didn't get dark I'm sure I could still be out there breaking them.

You simply can't miss with a Brooks gun. An excellent value offering outstanding workmanship, best quality materials and perfect pan to barrel fit.

I'll second the recommendation for Mike Brooks. I just took delivery of a Chambers New England Fowler, it is a work of art. The gun is worth every penny and the wait was very reasonable.

Is this your new gun J.M.? [url] http://www.fowlingguns.com/newest.html[/url]
If so, it's a beautiful piece! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is, and I could not be more pleased with it. The pictures are good, but dont do it justice.

Does anyone have or have they seen the Northwest trade gun from Pedersoli? Dixie has one in the "white" what do you think?

Not as historically correct as either a Northstar or Caywood. It has a really weird looking sideplate. With the prices of the dollar vs. euro, I'd go American. I was looking at new Italian repros online last night and the prices blew me away. 1200+ for a Charleville musket!
For sure Caywood has a NW gun in the white, Northstar probably does as well.

Back