• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advise!!! Colt 1860 serial #s fake or legit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansel McAdams

32 Cal
Reaction score
Refinished and inscribed Colt 1860 serial dates to 1863 thats been refinished. Does these serial numbers look legit? Fake? Thoughts? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240814_211709_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240814_211709_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240814_213634_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240814_213634_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240816_144909_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240816_144909_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 0
Refinished and inscribed Colt 1860 serial dates to 1863 thats been refinished. Does these serial numbers look legit? Fake? Thoughts? Any help appreciated.
Not an expert by any stretch, but serial numbers look mighty clean. What does the rest of the gun look like? What is on the cylinder? Is it a Navel engagement scene for example? Clear detailed photographs would definitely help.

Not an expert by any stretch, but serial numbers look mighty clean. What does the rest of the gun look like? What is on the cylinder? Is it a Navel engagement scene for example? Clear detailed photographs would definitely help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240816_144815_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240816_144815_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 0
The Colt has been refinished there's no doubt but for me that's not a deal breaker. I'm not interested in any civil war era Colt that I can't pull the hammer back on and fire. Even if the serial has been restruck don't bother me but my concern would be if the barrel, , frame, gripframe, backstrap are from the same gun.

Per Colt, looks like your 1860 has the wrong

And at least to me, the inscription appears to be contemporary engraving. Check the screws, if you find that they are metric you have an Italian made replica gun.
Looks contemporary as in period correct for 1866 or do you mean modern? This isn't my gun so don't know if screws are metric or not. For me this gun would never sit in a gun safe. It would be run though it's paces, then be ready to be mustered Into service in short order. I'm interested in this Colt due to the engraved cylinder and the inscription on the backstrap a.d the date of Oct 21 1866. I live in Jackson County Indiana where worlds first train robbery took place Oct 6 1866 two weeks before backstrap was engraved.. IF it was engraved then

Last edited:
Im in no way smoozed over the refinish except for factit make me pull the hammer back on this with no regard for an investment for the future. The investment for me would be for the here and now and how it feels in my hand now. . But the engraving on the cylinder and inscription on backstrap is cool as hell. But if it's a fake replica and or the parts are from different guns with fake serials then I wouldn't be interested

Looks contemporary as in period correct for 1866 or do you mean modern? This isn't my gun so don't know if screws are metric or not
Very clean gun, modern (to me) engraving, the wrong scene on the cylinder (the current engraving in the cylinder looks modern to me)…. So to me, a non-expert, appears to be a modern made gun, be it Italian or later generation Colt, though it’s hard to imagine why someone would do that to a later Colt then turn the cylinder.

Wait for some of the more knowledgeable Colt forum members to check in and comment on this gun.

Very clean gun, modern (to me) engraving, the wrong scene on the cylinder (the current engraving in the cylinder looks modern to me)…. So to me, a non-expert, appears to be a modern made gun, be it Italian or later generation Colt, though it’s hard to imagine why someone would do that to a later Colt then turn the cylinder.

Wait for some of the more knowledgeable Colt forum members to check in and comment on this gun.
Hey thanks for your response and opinions. For it is appreciated. I figured the cylinder prob isn't correct but that doesn't bother me due to the engraving that's on it now. Mainly my concern is if the barrel, frame, triggerguard, backstrap from the same colt.. Those cylinder marks from turning would only get worse as I'd see to that right quick. Again Im not a collector in the sense that it would never be put away in a gunsafe for an investment.. Yesterday is dead and gone.. and tomorrow's out of sight sorta thing.

Mainly my concern is if the barrel, frame, triggerguard, backstrap from the same colt.
Well the first thing would be to confirm whether or not it’s a real Colt. The check for metric threads is an easy test to separate out a lot of the fakes if you can get the gun in your hands. Pictures of the entire gun may help folks here notice tell tail details.

The barrel, frame, triggerguard, backstrap are likely from the same gun, be it a Colt or a replica. If you can buy it for the price of a nice condition replica, buy it and figure things out later.

Its pricey. $ 2500. It's in Texas and I'm in Indiana. Here's photos.

Attachments

• 864303.jpg
    864303.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 864302.jpg
    864302.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 864301.jpg
    864301.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 0
  • pix595944560-1.jpg
    pix595944560-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
  • pix270748693.jpg
    pix270748693.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
  • pix720374947.jpg
    pix720374947.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
Im not out to wreck an old Colt either. I would have never refinished an old Colt in the first place but seeing it's already been done..

Its pricey. $ 2500. It's in Texas and I'm in Indiana. Here's photos.
If ‘real’, the refinish kills a lot of value. The wrong cylinder… Unless the seller has the provenance documentation and H E Campbell or A J Kindig Jr are relatives of yours, almost $2k overpriced in my opinion. You can buy NIB second generation Colt 1860s for less than a $1k. Buy a pair and a nice holster rig and blast away if that’s what you want to do. A set of fired second generation Colts should be worth around $1500+/-, depending.

If ‘real’, the refinish kills a lot of value. The wrong cylinder… Unless the seller has the provenance documentation and H E Campbell or A J Kindig Jr are relatives of yours, almost $2k overpriced in my opinion. You can buy NIB second generation Colt 1860s for less than a $1k. Buy a pair and a nice holster rig and blast away if that’s what you want to do. A set of fired second generation Colts should be worth around $1500+/-, depending.
Hey I appreciate and value your opinion and knowledge. Well. We did make em both sit at another table at the reunion some years back. Black sheep and all haha. I know it. Have been looking hard at the C series Colts. The value is different for me as I don't have the mindset of a collector. As long as I'm alive it would never be a safe queen nor the future value considered unless I put up to prevent theft.

I want a period correct 1860 but don't care for it to be patina enough to look as uniform as to not want to turn the cylinder.. So the refinish doesn't bother meI. I get that it's prob a different cylinder. But the engraving on it ties into what I'm after with THIS colt. The inscription on the back doesn't bother me at all and closely links to the time period and Oct date of reasons to what led me to cap and ball colts is first train robbery in United States in my home town Oct 6, 1866d during and after the cival war and the right out lawlessness and murders in this town. ...But it's pricey way pricey and I'm not after this colt if its fake either. Been looking hard at alot of 1st generation colts and any info I can soak up about them. But I' But it's expensive. This is more expensive than some other 1st Gen colts I'm looking for

Last edited:
If not for the engraving on the cylinder and the inscribed backstrap with the particular date I would done passed it up due to the refinish and different cylinder but its gotta be correct far as those serial numbers and from the same gun.

Back