• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need ball and patch size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpmann3518

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Rifle arrived today (The .54 T/C Renegade I bought from the forum classifieds)

What size ball,patch and cap do I need?

Have to say T/C makes a solid rifle.

Almost every percussion rifle made in the past 60 years takes No 11 perc caps.

As for patch ball combo, it depends slightly on whether you have deep round ball rifling or that 1:48 shallower rifling they made. If you total the patch thickness and the size of the ball, it should come to about 15 thousandths over the bore size. for instance a .530 ball and a .015 patch would come to .560 (.530 +.015 +.015, patch thickness twice for patch being on both sides of the ball.) That may be a bit tight. It should be such that it takes firm pressure to seat the ball, but it shouldn't bruise your palm either.

Took a good look. Rifling is shallow. I figured no.11 caps were pretty standard. Everything else I ever shot used them. Wanted to make sure.

With the renegade, I think a basic starting set-up would be something like a .530 ball, .016"-.018" thick patch, crisco lube, #11 caps, and about 80 grains of ffg. That should get you shooting real close to "pretty good". From there, you can start tweaking the variables (except the caps) to see if you can improve your accuracy, loading ease, etc.

Have fun. Tell us how you do. Bill.

Thanks guys. Next step is to get back to work on all the accessories I have planned out and take a trip up to get some real BP and the rest then hit the range.

That's exactly the recipe mine likes best with the addition of an 1/8" lubed fiber wad. No real BP here so I'm limited to Triple7 and Magnum caps. I started out with FFG but surprisingly enough it shoots 80 grains of FFFG the most accurately.

If it is possible I would start by asking the previous owner what load the rifle liked and tinker with it from there if needed. No sense in re-inventing the wheel if you don't need to.

Bob

True. Have to PM him and see. 54 cal is a whole new thing to me. Biggest I've ever dealt with was 50 and was told to us fffg powder then. Makes me question if some of my loads weren't a bit too hot from what I've been reading.

My bro's Renegade formula was about 110 grains of FFg, ticking, an extra fire stopper behind the patch and neatsfoot oil for lube. That was his small game load because it let him pick heads off.

Amazing aint it? Production line manufacturing may let parts be interchangeable but every rifle still likes something different.

You can go to T-C and download the appropriate manual. It'll probably list a range of loads,

f'rinstance the Hawken manual does: .490 roundball, 50 to 110 grains FFg.

Wow theres a concept.Got so excited with having a muzzle loader again I forgot to stop and think. :haha:

Going back to caps, I'd take the existing nipple off and toss it or save it for a back-up. Start with a new one such as a Trso Ampco nipple threaded 1/4X28. Better yet, get two and throw the old one away! :)

Gotta get a note book out. Getting so much info I need to write it all down. So many places to get parts from. Whats your favorite? Trying to narrow it down.

I have a Renegade .54. I shoot a .530 ball with a .015 patch. I find the pillow ticking .018 too tight. Yours might not be.

I use 80 gr of Swiss 2F for hunting. 60 gr for target.

Remington #11 caps.

Heyoka said:
Probably a silly question but how do I tell the thickness of the ticking?

That would depend on how you buy the material. If you buy it packaged up for patch material. It will give the thickness. 99% of the time it will be .017-.018. If you buy in bulk from a fabric shop. You'll have to measure it.

TOW sells PT in cut patches that are dry or lubed. Also in bulk that you cut. They also have regular patch material that is dry, lubed, or bulk in several sizes. .010, .015, .020 etc.

Thanks. I was looking at fabric stores the whole time. Been to the sight you mentioned and have a list made for what to get from them already. I'll go back and look for their patch material.

Latest posts

Back